Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another dead sheep...  (Read 10345 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Another dead sheep...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 02:24:56 pm »
Yes - we give Heptavac P+ to the lambs at 4 and 6 weeks. The ewes get theirs annually 3 weeks before lambing.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »
Yes - we give Heptavac P+ to the lambs at 4 and 6 weeks.

Feel like I'm taking over this thread so apologies but looking at vaccinations at the mo. Gumpf on Heptavac reads:
Heptavac-P Plus should not be used in lambs less than 3 weeks of age due to the possible immunological incompetence of the very young lamb and competition from any maternally derived colostral antibodies. Lambs being retained for fattening or subsequent breeding will require a full course of vaccination. At a minimum age of 3 weeks these lambs should receive 2 injections, each of 2.0 ml, separated by an interval of 4-6 weeks

Completely new to this so I don't want to tread on any toes, just keen to know what happens in the real world  :)

& FiB, very sorry for your losses,

best wishes.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:35:48 pm by ZacB »

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »
The headache for me this year has been not really knowing when our girls were due and I think we didn't get the timing so good for the antenatal dose and gave it about a week too late. At tupping time our girls go to a larger BF flock down the road and the tup runs with all of them in the bottom field for a month or so - so it's not really feasible to see who's bottoms are coloured when (well - of course - it is feasible but both Will and his wife wok full time and have children etc etc and they're friends so I'm not going to insist that we have exact covering dates)

However, this is only our second year with lambing and we have learnt so much otherwise so I'm not too disheartened.

I expect that we did give it 4 weeks apart last year ZacB  as I would have followed the product information sheet to the letter!! I use a vaccinator like VSS suggests but I do use a fresh sterile needle for each injection.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 03:10:54 pm »
You're right, the blurb says the two doses should be 4-6 weeks apart, don't know where I got 2 weeks from, apologies.

Yes, you don't use it younger than 3 weeks as the lambs should have passive immunity from their mum's colostrum which could interfere with them developing immunity to the vaccine.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 05:30:46 pm »
FiB, I am sorry for your loss.Guilt is the first thing you feel, should or could have done this or that, but we can't see into the future and we can't always ensure our stock's well- being, however well we take care of them.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 05:58:42 pm »
Are the Beulahs a bit fancy for my land (quite wet, 250m)

Beulahs were the first sheep my OH had at the tender age of 13 and he always used to recommend them for beginners as they were always very forgiving. But, personally, I don't think beulahs are quite the sheep they used to be. IMO they are suffering in the same way as the Swaledales and Blackies are with ewe breeders selecting for ewes that will produce smart looking mules rather than looking for sheep that will do well on the hills.

Where abouts are you based? If you were to go for one of the more improved types of welsh mountain, such as the Talybont welsh, you would get a good level of performance with plenty of toughness.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 09:54:08 pm »
...and one of my Lleyn went down this morning!  Same pattern... spotted her down, she couldnt get up when I approached although did waggle her legs vigorously.  I put her up (just to see if she had got stick (Im sure I read spomewher on here that sheep do somtimes get stuck - or is that only pregnat sheep) and she wobbled an dfell over again,  Stuck her with antibiotic (had some in this time) and wheelbarrowed her to polytunnel.  Imediately started eating hay and tucked into nuts and water...  Still OK at the moment, most surprised - been expecting another dead sheep.  Keeping her in overnight, as need to dag her tomorrow - terrible scours despite being wormed only last month (and vet PM worm counts being low..).  Neighbours are very relaxed about scouring and say it is just the new grass coming in??  Fingers crossed for a lucky night....  I am so p'd off with my vet - they recommended various lab tests from previous 2 PMs - a bill came through for one this week £60, didnt even say what the resluts were- not one has given me a single bit of usefull information.  Aggh.  This forum has been MUCH more informative (although I do appreciate there is a time for the vet).  This sheep today had exactly the same pattern as the other 2 (diagnosed pastueralla at PM), but it cant be that this time can it - they all had the second dose (6wk after first) of Hep- P  the weekend before last? 

Blimmin sheep.  Lovely but unfathomable at the moment!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 10:14:55 pm »
Not sure if the Heptovac P is 100% foolprrof?  We've have one this year who was definitely vacc'd yet died of classic pastuerella symptoms  :'(
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 10:33:17 pm »
....  VSS - we're near Bala, North Wales.  Most of the sheep around us are Welsh mountain crosses (Lleyn and some more commercial (huge!!)crosses), but I wanted to try a difffernt breed because their fleeces are aweful!  I have a big decision this autumn, whether to hire in a Beulah ram or bring in something else for a bit of hybrid vigour (or indead eat them all and buy in a tougher breed!).  I want to support a rarer breed (and Beulah are not known for finishing easily so they've got to be heading that way) but not at the expense of sheeps health.  I bought these for their fleece (although the breed is not renowned for consistantly fine fleece - these girls have long fine wool - may just be because it's their lambs wool, will have to see how I get next year). 

My aim is for good fleece (home spinning) and home meat.  Hope I can nurse the flock through and stick with them, cause I do love my Beulah!

Thanks  :bouquet: for feedback on Heptovac and breeds - all good food for thought.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS