Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rejected Lamb  (Read 7867 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Rejected Lamb
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 10:35:45 pm »
We just take it as a matter of course that with a significant proportion of first-timers and some second- and subsequent-timers we will need to help the mother-lamb bonding.

With first-timers I always rub the birth fluids around her mouth and nose so she has to lick and gets the taste.  If baby is right in front of her, she usually starts licking it straight away - and that licking is good for the lamb and absolutely priceless in terms of getting the ewe bonded.  It doesn't always work but often does.

Whether the ewe ignores the lamb(s), beats the lamb(s) up or just doesn't let the lamb(s) suckle, we pen the ewe and lamb(s) and hold the ewe for the lamb(s) to suckle as often as you would otherwise bottle feed.  Hold the ewe still and help the lamb(s) attach - be firm with the ewe if she is fractious; she will soon learn that she has to behave and pretty soon you probably won't even need to hold her, just getting into the pen will be her and the lambs' signal that it's lambie feeding time.  We usually give mum some cake while she's feeding the lambs - pretty soon the lamb(s) learn to dive under her when they see her eating.  Usually 48-72 hours is enough and you will find nice plump lamb(s) when you approach the pen, meaning the lamb(s) have fed without your assistance; sometimes it takes a week.  Very very rarely it doesn't work and you have to take the lamb off.  It can be less successful getting a ewe to accept both her twins but I really don't expect to fail to get a ewe to accept her own single lamb.

If the ewe is so rough with the lamb(s) that you fear for their safety (and I have had Swaledales batter lambs to death), then don't leave the lamb(s) in with her unattended; put them in a box between feeds - as you would if you were bottle feeding them.  In these cases, put the ewe in a pen where there's a safe place for the lamb to get away from her if she does go for it.  After a couple of days, start to leave the lamb with mum after it's fed, but stick around, and reprimand the ewe if she butts her lamb.  Gradually she will start to tolerate the lamb and you will feel safe to leave it with her full time - and what a feeling it is, the day you approach the pen to find the two of them curled up together! :) 

I've never used an adopter and don't think I would feel comfortable leaving the ewe yoked, so I wouldn't leave the ewe in there, I'd put her in 6 times a day for a day or two, then 4 times a day until she behaves. 

If, however, I have to do all of this two years running (after her first time - we all gotta learn our jobs!  :D), she's to cull. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS