Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red stripe has lambed at last .. this battle has been won!  (Read 7138 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Red stripe has lambed at last .. this battle has been won!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »
squeasy, thank your vet from me - I've bookmarked that post!

Mind, I haven't ever done or seen done the intraperitoneal, so I think I'd better get a demo from my vet...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 02:03:45 pm »
I've done it on 4 lambs in total in a period of 3 years but only 1 of them survived. I think there's a fine line between recovery and total flatliner when they are in this state. The lamb that survived was sat on by his mum and very cold. the injection isn't difficult and you've got nothing to loose you can't really do any more harm because they are so near death anyway!
One of the others recovered for a while to the point of lifting it's head but died later we think from a pinched heart, or lack of oxygen where it took mum a long time to lamb him.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 03:03:46 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks for that!
Every day a school day eh? :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 09:06:04 am »
 Yes - thanks for the more detailed info, Squeasy, that's really good.
 I was in fact just giving an easy rule of thumb for those that probably haven't got a thermometer and wouldn't feel happy about giving an intraperitoneal injection.
 Also, I did stress  "new born" lamb as once it's past @6 hours old it's  chances of survival are not good, as Feldar says.
 As for warming - yes that's important but I warm the lamb while I'm preparing the colostum and however cold it is, so long as it has some movement and isn't completely moribund, then stomach tubing will work.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 09:44:28 am »
Yes - thanks for the more detailed info, Squeasy, that's really good.
 I was in fact just giving an easy rule of thumb for those that probably haven't got a thermometer and wouldn't feel happy about giving an intraperitoneal injection.
 Also, I did stress  "new born" lamb as once it's past @6 hours old it's  chances of survival are not good, as Feldar says.
 As for warming - yes that's important but I warm the lamb while I'm preparing the colostum and however cold it is, so long as it has some movement and isn't completely moribund, then stomach tubing will work.

Its all well and good me having it on a piece of paper - but for you and feldar who have done it your  experience is where we gain our real information!! (thank you) - Do you take the lamb inside with you as you make up the colostrum? and where do you get your syringes and needles from? - just in case I need to use my bit of paper  :)
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 01:34:30 pm »
 Yes, I bring them inside and put them near a radiator or hot water bottle while I make up the colostrum.
 Usually I get needles and syringes from the vet. They are not expensive. Our feed store also sells them, but not a very good range of sizes - I really hate having to use a 6inch knitting needle on a little lamb. :sheep:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 04:02:06 pm »
Thanks for this story. I'm going to bookmark this thread for next year!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 04:32:31 pm »
Stick em in front of the aga while i make up the stuff i need,colostrum is from Osmands and needles etc can be bought from agri store, i tube lamb with it between my knees on the floor getting head well back so tube goes down the right pipe. if i have to inject they say tip lamb downwards but the hamps are so big and usually still slimey, so i just lay over on back and don't push the needle in too far, you want to just push through the skin wall into the peritoneal cavity.

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 07:08:51 pm »
Yes, I bring them inside and put them near a radiator or hot water bottle while I make up the colostrum.
 Usually I get needles and syringes from the vet. They are not expensive. Our feed store also sells them, but not a very good range of sizes - I really hate having to use a 6inch knitting needle on a little lamb. :sheep:

Thank you so much this is really helpful.  I will be off to the vets in the morning!

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 07:10:53 pm »
Stick em in front of the aga while i make up the stuff i need,colostrum is from Osmands and needles etc can be bought from agri store, i tube lamb with it between my knees on the floor getting head well back so tube goes down the right pipe. if i have to inject they say tip lamb downwards but the hamps are so big and usually still slimey, so i just lay over on back and don't push the needle in too far, you want to just push through the skin wall into the peritoneal cavity.

Thank you for your advice.  I hope not to need it- but I feel it is so much better to be prepared for everything, and to use all of your real life experience.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS