Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seeding Sprouts  (Read 4152 times)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Seeding Sprouts
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »
Any advice on re-seeding sprouts? Despite many of my sprouts blowing and lack of a frost, the plants are quite large and turning to seed. Unfortunately they are in the wrong location. I may transplant them else where, but, has anyone got advice on how to capture the seeds?
I have done it in the past but quite by accident. Only realised when I had unusual purple & green 'weeds' coming up, where did they come from? Didn't grow sprouts there last year but one before. :dunce:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Seeding Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:51:44 pm »
I think I'm right in saying that brassicas will cross-pollinate with eachother very freely, so it's only worth saving the seeds if you have only one variety of brassica, which of course shouldn't be an F1 hybrid.  Once the seed pods start to dry you could cut off the whole plant and hang it upside down in a shed/polytunnel and collect the seeds on newspaper beneath.  Or you could just leave them growing and check for ripeness each day, catching the pods before they burst.  You only need a few podsful to provide seed for a year.
Any which flower are well worth leaving for the bees - they love them at a time when there is not that much nectar available, and they perfume the garden rather deliciously  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:09:37 pm »
do they grow well from seed then? never grown before but want to grow them this season.
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:24:23 pm »
I had some spare furrows 40 yards long. I have not grown sprouts in my garden plot for 2 years allowing the last couple of plants to seed. I filled two 40yd furrows with these and they have grown very well. The problem was lack of frost because over 50% blew, but I still keep getting some decent sprouts. Shops are not interested in them because they are not pretty enough? But folk who have had them come back for more, a decent flavour and not bitter, the odd slug but that proves no chemicles.
There seems to be 2 varieties; an all green plant and one with purple streaks in them. If they cross pollenate then that will be good as I intend to keep them growing.
Need to get my poly tunnel built.
A son of the soil .

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:09:55 pm »
I had some spare furrows 40 yards long. I have not grown sprouts in my garden plot for 2 years allowing the last couple of plants to seed. I filled two 40yd furrows with these and they have grown very well. The problem was lack of frost because over 50% blew, but I still keep getting some decent sprouts. Shops are not interested in them because they are not pretty enough? But folk who have had them come back for more, a decent flavour and not bitter, the odd slug but that proves no chemicles.
There seems to be 2 varieties; an all green plant and one with purple streaks in them. If they cross pollenate then that will be good as I intend to keep them growing.
Need to get my poly tunnel built.

when do they go in?
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 02:13:09 am »
Depends on the variety - sow from Feb to May, then transplant to permanent position in June. Early varieties will start to crop in Nov or even earlier, hardy types can go on cropping until March or April.
 They grow very easily from seed.  Be sure to plant them out into very firm ground ie not freshly dug, as that will make them blow.  For tight buttons the ground must be very firm.  It is also a good idea to stake the plants if your area is at all windy as they lodge very readily.  One good trick is to plant them out in a hole about 6" below the surrounding level, then as they grow earth them up - this gives plenty of strong deep roots.
Cabbage root fly, mealy bugs, cabbage white caterpillars, slugs, mice, pigeons and rabbits will all have a go at your crop.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:15:11 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:11:48 am »
Depends on the variety - sow from Feb to May, then transplant to permanent position in June. Early varieties will start to crop in Nov or even earlier, hardy types can go on cropping until March or April.
 They grow very easily from seed.  Be sure to plant them out into very firm ground ie not freshly dug, as that will make them blow.  For tight buttons the ground must be very firm.  It is also a good idea to stake the plants if your area is at all windy as they lodge very readily.  One good trick is to plant them out in a hole about 6" below the surrounding level, then as they grow earth them up - this gives plenty of strong deep roots.
Cabbage root fly, mealy bugs, cabbage white caterpillars, slugs, mice, pigeons and rabbits will all have a go at your crop.

the rabbits will be the main problem i think!  >:(

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:30:58 pm »
First posted this in February.
Well my 'gone to seed' sprout plants are now in full bloom, enormous saffron yellow plants dominating the area shedding petals around.
So do I now dig them up and hang them upside down to catch the pods or just leave them to feed the bees?
A son of the soil .

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 09:47:50 pm »
start from seed its a bit late now, but buy a few plugs and grow them on in pots until your early broad beans have finished cropping,june july time dont dig the soil, leave the bb roots in to feed the sprouts which will grow on to crop in winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS