Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Record book  (Read 4495 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Record book
« on: February 26, 2012, 07:24:06 pm »
What is a good record book to get and where from?  I live in England and want to have a record of when tupped, lamb due date, medication given, withdrawn until date, born or brought in date, etc etc. any suggestions gratefully received, I've been using a spreadsheet which I did myself but I think a book might be easier to read  ???  :-\
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Record book
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:29:03 pm »
Free from the Welsh office , £3.50p from defra office,  or you can sometimes get them from feed merchants. you can of coarse keep electronic records on the pooter.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:12:31 am »
There is a firm selling various farm record books on e-bay.  They are printed by Castlemaker Print 0800 915 4218.  www castlemaker.com or www.farmingrecords.co.uk  Basic but adequate :farmer: :sheep:

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:17:51 pm »
Buy a small A6 notebook that will fit in your pocket and draw in colums yourself for all the information you want to record. Keep it with you so you can jot stuff down as it happens and then transfer the date into the "official" documents that you are required to keep such as the flock and medicine records.

The beauty of this is you can keep lots of extra records over and above the legal minimums if you want to, such as parentage of your lambs, birth weights, litter size etc. All useful stuff to know.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:15 am »
I keep a second book for my lambing records because I'm a sucker for excessive data. My medicines go in one notebook (I find it useful to have an at-a-glance treatment record, and Im sure its compulsory - certainly was when I was managing fish farms) and I use the big defra holding registers cos I cant imput them on their website...something to do with excel for mac not liking their macros....

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:44:04 am »
yes you are right you are supposed to keep a medicines book of what you have administered and when  and withdrawl period   some company's hand them out free that is where we got ours from  :farmer:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:49:26 pm »
I print my record sheets out from the internet and keep them in a plastic file (the sort where the paper slots into the clear page holders). That way I can file all the in/out correspondence, lab test results etc etc as well, so it is all together.

:farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS