Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dumped cockerel!  (Read 5288 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Dumped cockerel!
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:31:55 pm »
Some lovely considerate person has dumped a cockerel on me. I am pretty sure he is a Pekin, and very pretty, but not a problem I want to have to deal with! I was cleaning out the chicken shed, went away to get some straw, and came back a few minutes later to an extra ball of fluff. Quite a suprise I assure you! The dumpee must have been watching me from the footpath alongside the field, waiting for me to leave so he/she could dump it. He wasn't even left in a box or anything, just thrown over the fence loose with my chickens! I only have 5 so it's not like I wouldn't have noticed  ::)  I cannot keep him, I already have a cockerel, and he is small enough to fit through the wire in my fencing (as we discovered several times whilst trying to catch him!). So what on earth do I do with it? He is currentlly in a carry case in my shed. Anybody in Fife want a pekin cockerel? Grrrrrr I am so cross!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Dumped cockerel!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:18:36 pm »

That was considerate of them, wasn't it?  I know what I'd do with him, but if he's titchy, it hardly seems worth the bother unfortunately  :-\.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:30:55 pm »
poor little chap!
Pekins are quite popular, you might get him a "fancy" home by advertising him, might even get a fiver for him!
try gumtree, preloved, or your local paper

(personally, I'd put on the advert "dumped and can't live with my cockerel" just in case you can shame whoever left him!)
Little Blue

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »
We had a lovely Pekin dumped on us two years ago. Thrown from a pasing car down our drive. In really good health so well looked after, but just at the crowing stage. We managed to rehome him, which was easy as he was such good stock.

Now earlier this week someone dumped 4 cockerels in a neighbour's newly aquired wilderness. Two Pekins and two Wellsummer crosses I think. No food, no water, no shelter. Took 2 hours to catch them and one has been despatched -nasty little thing. So we will give them some life and they they will have to go the same way as we have no space for them. Very difficult to rehome cockerels anyway, but these have no use for breeding.

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:57:01 pm »
We had 4 dumped a few years ago, over 3-4 weeks.  The first 2 my OH found dead & 1 we could not catch. The other we still have. I wish the dumpers would try living in the wild & getting killed. Why can't they take reponsibilty & dispatch them humanely.
Rse

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:55:02 pm »
aw shame he is in scotland, i'd have him in a heartbeat :love: :love:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:57:31 pm »
With all my over-cockereled problems I never considered dumping them. Next time I'm passing Big Chicken's pad I might dump them there, bet he wouldn't even notice! (Bet he doesn't read this either...!)  ;D

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »
Iff i have eney i take them 2 the sales and put them out free i have a blue aracarna goin very nice stock woomed and vacinated

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »
Some people!! and at a place like yours it's hardly an easy thing to do - must have been planned.

one of my neighbours mentioned wanting one a while back, i shall ask him tomorrow morning if he still is interested and let you know!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 08:32:28 pm »
A load were dumped at the livery stables where I used to keep Smokey. Some of the horse owners fed them but the fox got them all in the end. To be fair they had a nice life and probably longer than they would have had in other circumstances.

I suspect with more interest in keeping chooks, the incidence of this will rise.

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:23:38 am »
Sadly, we had to send him to chicken heaven. I feel really guilty about it, but there was just no way I could have kept him without building a new enclosure for him (which I thought was a bit extreme). And with all the surplus cockerels around had very little hopes of finding him a new home. Especially as he was not a recognised colouring/pattern and had a nasty case of scaly leg mite. If he had been a large fowl type I probaly would have kept him to fatten up alongside any cockerels I hatch this year and given him a bit more of a life, but he was super teeny tiny, and even that was just all feathers! I doubt that he will be the only one we get as well and just cannot become a cockerel rehoming sanctuary.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »
Only sensible thing to do, especially if not 100% healthy :-*
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 08:48:22 pm »
What a shame.  I have had a cockerel dumped here.  He just fitted in with the rest.  Hope someone takes him.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS