Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any advice  (Read 3321 times)

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
Any advice
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:31:08 pm »
I've had a ewe lamb this morning - a big beautiful boy (he's huge) and my first ever lambing (and I missed it!!!). We found out when we came down and saw lamby laying in the middle of the field. We went out mum was taking no notice so we rounded her up and tried to get her interested in her baby but no luck (she's a first timer). Lamby was really cold so we bought him in and got him dried and wrapped in towels. This was when we found the pucture woulds around his head and neck - fox has obviously had a good go at him. 7 hrs later lamby is still with us but i'm having to syringe feed as he doesn't seem able to suckle. He's breathing is noisy (sounds a bit like snoring), he still has blood coming out of his nose but it is less than it was and he hasn't opened his bowels yet. I've put iodine on all his wounds to help prevent infection if he survives. Any advice on what I can do to help him? How long should it take to open his bowels?

Many Thanks

Claire

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Any advice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:32:55 pm »
I would contact a vet

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:34:57 pm »
the lamb will need anti biotics and colostrum...and very quick! Get to the vet asap!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:41:49 pm »
the lamb will need anti biotics and colostrum...and very quick! Get to the vet asap!
You just beat me to the very words WoollyVal
Without colostrum and being unable to suckle i think i would prepare yourself to lose him. Sorry :'(
Mandy :pig:
Ps if you have any more due to lamb get them penned or in Mr Fox is likely to make a return visit if he knows theres easy meat about!

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:59:33 pm »
We milked the ewe and spoonfed the colostrum in so he has had some. Also given him some kick-start mixture. He is getting stonger and swallowing better when syringing the milk in. Breathing is getting less noisy, blood coming out of nose seems to be stopping and he has been up on his feet. He seems like he's a fighter (he should be he's mother has always been very strong even when she was being hand reared!!

All the other ewes will be bought in at night now and only out during the day when we can keep more of an eye on them.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:30:55 pm »
Well done  :thumbsup: He still will need a shot of antibiotic as dog bites..and that includes fox, always go septic in circumstances like this because they are puncture wounds.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:37:15 pm »
You say he hasn't passed anything are you sure the first poo is called meconium it is dark brown and very sticky and shortly after his first feed he should have passed it . As a rule of thumb a lamb needs 50ml per kg of colostrum  at the first feed, if it can't suck a stomach tube is good.  For the fox bite you need a course of antibiotics a fox's teeth are full of bacteria . Last year i had a twin lamb bitten on the neck at 12 hrs old i kept the family inside to make sure he was getting his share of milk ,a big course of antibiotics, his neck was very swollen  and stiff. HE'S now 10 mths old  a big boy , he carries his  head stiffley and sometimes looses his balance and is OK :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »
Fingers crossed fo your lamb - he sounds like a real Rocky  :thumbsup:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 01:01:50 pm »
Keep trying and don't give up. I had one attacked a few years ago and the poor soul spent weeks looking backwards as neck muscles had gone into spasm.  I took to vet for antibiotics, checkup and to tube him as wasn't confident to do myself.

He pulled through and his neck straightened out  with a bit of massage.  Mum didn't reject him but he needed help feeding.  Fingers crossed xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS