Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: this is Oxfordshire calling......................  (Read 2939 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
this is Oxfordshire calling......................
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:20:10 am »
hi there, 1.5 acres of land, cut down 59 trees so far over 4 years and have just about turned the tide with the help of my 15 year old boy. got a good veg patch and planted an orchard and am just drifting into hugelkultur as a way of getting rid of some of the wood left after the felling. got a MK3 hilux single cab pickup which i have been restoring over the last 2 years and have just about got it sorted! got the first broad beans up a couple of days ago and now i got some peas and i got about 50 tomato plants on the third set of leaves.  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: this is Oxfordshire calling......................
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:19:21 am »
Hello  chairmanphil 
It sounds like you been busy. Thatsalot of tomatoes compared to my pathetic 5 and still waiting for 1st true leaves on them, time to put a few more in I think to catch up.
Great you have joined this site, it's full of good advice and info. Look forward to your inputs.

From a wishful smallholder still looking
 near Durham
 :wave:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:37:46 am »
Hello phil, welcome to the forum.  :wave:

We haven't even sown our tomatoes yet!  :o

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:08:33 am »
yep the tomatoes are good as gold! looks like i am getting ahead this year. this weekend we are going to finish the first hugel beds. is there anyone else on this forum who is useing the hugel idea?

http://permaculture.org.au/2012/01/04/hugelkultur-composting-whole-trees-with-ease/

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:47:54 am by chairmanphil »
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:12 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Can't stop, off to sow tomatoes  ;D

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 05:15:29 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum Chairmanphil.

We buy our tomato plants from the village church sale. Chickens in the greenhouse until Spring. Sounds like fun with the trees. What have you made from the timber?

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:25:59 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum Chairmanphil.

We buy our tomato plants from the village church sale. Chickens in the greenhouse until Spring. Sounds like fun with the trees. What have you made from the timber?

so far a very big scorch mark! but i have a fine selection of smoking wood i can tell ya! i have apple, pear, greengauge, loads of good beech and just got a load of white ash too. i have about 5 tonnes of laylandai which is not much good until it is about 2 years cut, and no good for smoking. if you have a look in gardening i have put up an article about "hugelkultur" which i am going to build up tomorrow so i will take a load of pics and post it up there when progress is made.  :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:21:09 am »
Hello and welcome from Worcestershire  :wave:

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 09:13:22 am »
thanx everyone, made to feel really welcome to this forum! nice one!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 12:39:32 am »
 :wave:  HI and welcome from sunny Shropshire.  I sowed my tomatoes two days ago.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS