Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long until lambing?  (Read 10616 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: How long until lambing?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 05:11:33 pm »
Is his Dad a ryeland too?  I presume he is and his colour and shape will coem through in time.

If not then you don't really know what you're going to get in the way of looks do you?  I might pop over and see him sometime.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 09:24:35 pm »
Yes, he is pure Ryeland. His father is called Garioch Highlander, and his granddaddy on his father's side is Paithnick Tam, who was Royal Highland Show Champion in 2005. And that's the extent of my knowledge of Ryeland breeding!

Do come and see him - he's very perky now and I've stopped worrying that he's going to die if the rain hits him. In fact he was out in the rain for the first time today and survived!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 10:11:50 pm »
I read somewhere - on here I think, Dan might remember - you can make little plastic coats for lambs to keep the wet off them.  I've a feeling I've seen a diagram somewhere
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 04:20:11 pm »
You can buy things called lammacs; Carol's got some and offered me some but I wasn't organised in time. He's been out playing in the sun today. Feel a bit sorry for him as an "only lamb". In the field next door a gang of about 12 lambs, bigger than LB, were tearing around. He just plays by himself. Hope Juno gets a move on and gives him some cousins (half-siblings really) to play with.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 11:49:21 pm »
She's due soon isn't she?  When do you finish work?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 07:18:01 pm »
Where's the pictures then?
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 07:49:34 pm »
If you go into the Diary section on TAS there is some video and pics. If it's fine tomorrow, I'll get some more - he's changed so much in a week. I had forgotten what they were like - I think working on a farm lambing 600 ewes, I didn't notice the details.

No news on Juno yet - not sure whan she's due but she's got milk and is like an elephant.  The scanner thought about the same time as Jinx but since one had a single and one twins, she said it was hard to knwo for sure, but she thought she'd been caught on the first cycle which would make it before 18th April.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS