Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long until lambing?  (Read 10634 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
How long until lambing?
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:20:34 am »
Jinx has got an udder with milk! Does this mean lambing is close? She doesn't look like it's imminent ie she's not off on her own or showing any discharge or anything but I wondered how soon befoe lambing they got milk.

I was less stressed having my own child.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: How long until lambing?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:27:59 pm »
It depends on how full and how old the ewe is. Gimmers and young ewes will bag up tightly earlier than older ewes. In general when the teats fill up and point out its time to watch carefully, but watch out with old girls as they may not even produce milk til a couple of hours after birth
Ian

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 05:48:01 pm »
We have a mixture, young and old ewes, our first lamb was born on the 6th March, twins arrived yesterday and we had another set of twins today, along with a single lamb,
In between times two sets of twins have been lost,.

Do breeds differ in lambing times?
Our neighbours, seldom lamb before the end of April, we are told.

Pigtails

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:37:05 pm »
"It depends on how full and how old the ewe is."

She's a gimmer and this is her first lamb. It's a single. She's not bursting but the teats are well sticking out to teh side now.

I've started bringing them in to the shed at night so I can check late on and I know where they are. Don't fancy scouring the hedge bottoms in the cold and dark!

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:08:33 pm »
hi rosemary...i am in the same place as you....

one ewe has had an udder absolutely bursting full for the last two weeks but shows no other signs as yet. by my dates she is not due to lamb until the 8th. this will be her second set of lambs.  i am bringing them into the smallest paddock at night time so i can view with minimal fuss. stress stress stresssss!!!

i am so excited...i dont want to go to work in case i miss something....its my first time....
Emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:11:43 pm »
Can they manage on their own if you two go off to work?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38:06 am »
90% of ewes lamb without problem. I check mine every two hours during the day, and last thing at 12 then again at 3.00 am and at 6.00 am on getting up (again!!). I only have 16 ewes and normally they are all over and done with within 3 weeks, so it's not too bad - you soon get into the swing of it. In a large housed flock someone is on hand 24/7, where it can get very busy with babies popping out all over place  ;D Lucky my office is only 20 yards from lambing paddock/yard or I wouldn't get much work done.  :sheep:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:20:39 pm »
Waheee...we have started.

All weekend and overnight last night i have been feeling jippy, with stomach cramps and nausea...so didint go to work today.

Lucky that, cos Tuppence lambed today The first was a tiny little boy who has needed a bit of help to find the teats. He was rather weak and feeble so i milked her into a syringe and tubed it into his mouth. he then had the ooomph to get up and try for himself later.
the second lamb was noticeably bigger girl who seemed to be looking for the teat as soon as she hit the ground. She just needed a bit of help to clear her nose and mouth, she came out with the sack intact! both lambs seem to be doing well by this evening....and they are so cute.

not bad for a first timer...Emma ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 09:22:39 pm »
Well, until 5pm today! And she managed all by herself - as I drove home from work today, there Jinx was with her little black bundle. I must have missed it by only a few minutes.

Juno and Jura are very excited. Jinx seems to like her lamb - she's chuckling away. He's been up and had a drink, had his navel dipped and seemed warm and full at 8pm. I'll check again before bed, I think.

I'm now worried about Jinx cleansing properly. How do I know, if I don't find the afterbirth? She still had some "stringy" bits left at 8pm.

Dan says he looks like an At-At, which is very unkind. THis is him and his mommy going from the field to the pen.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 09:28:45 pm »
Very cute lamb  ;D Well done to both first timers  ;D

Pikilily, we need to see a photo of your lamb  :sheep:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 09:33:37 pm »
Will take some tomorrow and post pdq
Emma

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 10:02:42 pm »
He's not really cute - he's pretty ugly but I'm hoping that he'll look better in the morning   :sheep:

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 08:56:25 pm »
I bet he looks a lot more like a Ryeland today. Congrats to first lamb.

Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 09:02:36 pm »
Hmm. He's a bit odd looking - patchy grey and black with ENORMOUSLY long legs and long floppy ears. I'll get a photo tomorrow in daylight. He seems quite bright though and is exploring his little pen. I might let him and mum out into the slightly bigger pen tomorrow if I feel brave enough.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 03:42:29 pm »
well done rosemary, first season lamb for us today put some pics on when i can

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS