Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: this years tomatoes  (Read 52334 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: this years tomatoes
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 10:45:01 pm »
I think it's worth taking the risk. Here in Fife the weather is very clement. I'm going to plant my courgettes this weekend, the mice are the biggest risk. Got to buy more pea seeds, though, the bloody mice.....!!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 10:09:58 am »
I think it's worth taking the risk. Here in Fife the weather is very clement. I'm going to plant my courgettes this weekend, the mice are the biggest risk. Got to buy more pea seeds, though, the bloody mice.....!!

always worth the risk, if they don't make it just get more seeds and if they do you are 4 weeks up on the first fruit. just stay positive!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »
got them potted out now and all have taken, got a pic that i will put up later. they are looking so good!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 05:36:34 pm »
sorry if anyone was following this thread, had a terrible week last week with a death in the family amoung other things, but it would seem that i have potted them on at just the right time and all is doing well!

what do ya think?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 06:26:40 pm »
Absolutely LOVELY  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mine haven't even germinated yet!!! We are growing Gardeners Delight this year..... in the NEW polytunnel  :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 06:29:55 pm »
Absolutely LOVELY  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mine haven't even germinated yet!!! We are growing Gardeners Delight this year..... in the NEW polytunnel  :D

will be interesting to see how they compare to others like yourself come august eh?

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:54 pm »
meant to take a pic today but got so carried away i forgot. how is everyone doing with theirs? my sun belles are about 9" high

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 08:22:03 am »
doing well in the sunshine;

seems like a good idea to plant them so early as we are having such a warm march. really has been in like a lion and out like a lamb!

Mel

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 08:24:26 pm »
I only planted my seeds last weekend :o lots of catching up to do I guess!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:43 pm »
imho,
they are way too leggy, should be in a 5'' pot minimum, each! grow tomatoes fast pot those seedlings up so only the top leaves are above the soil. each of those hairs on the stem is a root in waiting. pot them up. actually just try a few, what can u lose? and then do a comparison.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »
imho,
they are way too leggy, should be in a 5'' pot minimum, each! grow tomatoes fast pot those seedlings up so only the top leaves are above the soil. each of those hairs on the stem is a root in waiting. pot them up. actually just try a few, what can u lose? and then do a comparison.

nice one, will have a go with some tomorrow. i am open to all opinion, that is the whole point of this. to find out the best ways to do it. mine have always been a bit leggy in the past so now i know why lol! will see what happens soon enough!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 09:23:09 pm »
tis only logic mr chairman, if you want 20lbs of fruit off that plant, it needs 20lb of something to make em with.
peeeersonally i would put each one into an upended growbag. and then try to ORGANICALLY over feed it, bin the miracle grow chemical shite, u need strong manure tea.

then watch em go ;)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 08:48:05 am »
I was going to start mine last w/e but had family over so this week it was. I got everything ready BUT now weve got winter again. Its struggling to 5degrees, blowing a gale and dripping splashes of what feels like ice through the air. Ive not even put the sheep out today

(Phil, Im up in the mountains in eastern Germany)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 09:21:03 am »
I was going to start mine last w/e but had family over so this week it was. I got everything ready BUT now weve got winter again. Its struggling to 5degrees, blowing a gale and dripping splashes of what feels like ice through the air. Ive not even put the sheep out today

(Phil, Im up in the mountains in eastern Germany)

summer has gone here too, back to 12 degrees and dropping off and back to early spring next week.  ::)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »
they are all so big now, will take some photos tomorrow as we are moving them about a bit!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS