Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: this years tomatoes  (Read 52342 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
Re: this years tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 03:03:07 pm »
Can you reduce the size of your pics before you put them up (by at least half). They take up more room than the screen.

i will have a word with my tech support
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 12:15:27 am »
How do you reduce the size?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:12 pm »
I sowed my chillies on Monday and the first one is up today.  I sowed my broad beans a couple of days ago and it will be ages before they appear if previous years are an indicator.  I have sown various flowers for my new front garden and they are starting to pop up.
Today I will sow some small container type early tomatoes, but will leave the main crop until mid-March.
Apart from the broad beans I have started everything in the propagator - windowsill space will soon be at a premium (our windowsills are not very big).
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 12:20:07 pm »
i cheated and planted some primroses in the new garden today to give it some instant colour because it was very boring out the back of the new house.

my chillis have been in a week and some varieties are doing really well others have done nothing so far...

i have just picked up some sweet pea seeds for phase 2 of back garden prettying up they will go on the windowsill this weekend...

next week i start on my borrowed garden allotment project hopefully so lots more veg to think about for there!!!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 01:20:29 pm »
You've got me all fired up, off to get mine planted!  :)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:39 pm »
You've got me all fired up, off to get mine planted!  :)

off to the land to plant and have a fire after lunch service is over. had a cracking day so far! think i am going to leave the tomatoes for another week where they are. Bob Allen the farmer next door has the most wonderful toms every year and he said wait till you can see some root coming out from a plant or two before potting them on and i don't have any root showing anywhere. the whole idea of getting then started this early was from his advice so i am going to go with this bit too!  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »
doing very well but can't get photobucket to play fair tonight!  >:(

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »
So. Immediately after I posted that post, I sowed lots of seeds for toms, lettuce, and stuff. Can't remember what. But loads of it. I now have enthusiastic seedlings pushing their way up and am quite delighted, and wouldn't yet have done it were it not for the inspiration. Fabbydoo.  :thumbsup:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 09:37:07 pm »
So. Immediately after I posted that post, I sowed lots of seeds for toms, lettuce, and stuff. Can't remember what. But loads of it. I now have enthusiastic seedlings pushing their way up and am quite delighted, and wouldn't yet have done it were it not for the inspiration. Fabbydoo.  :thumbsup:

glad to help! my boy and i have really cracked it this year. we have been working all winter and are so far ahead of last year it is brilliant! just getting the nettles brambles and periwinkle out now while the ground is easy to turn has been so good! can't wait, will be courgettes in the greenhouse soon!  :thumbsup:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 09:43:19 pm »
Fantastic, well done. Periwinkle is a bloody nightmare, we really struggled with it in our last house.  As for the bramble......!
You're right putting in the hard work now, and getting things sown early. It's a mistake I make every year, and swear I won't again. Annually. The weather here in Central Scotland is very temperate, I did a huge amount in the garden today, and am feeling the optimism of Spring. Bring it on!  :)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 08:07:53 am »
Oh god!!!! - feel way behind. Have just done tomato seeds yesterday :-( Planning to do courgettes and some beans next weekend I think - oh - and some lettuce

Hope I'm not too late
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 09:49:42 am »
Oh god!!!! - feel way behind. Have just done tomato seeds yesterday :-( Planning to do courgettes and some beans next weekend I think - oh - and some lettuce

Hope I'm not too late

nah, you will be fine, i am in competition with the farmers wife. so we have a little incentive to do we as fast as possible! courgettes first batch will go in this weekend i think along with the cucumbers too!

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:05 am »
Its way too cold here yet....still the odd patch of snow in full shade and floating ice on most ponds!!!

It is often  too cold, too cold, too cold....oops why havnt you got plants ready!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:11 am »
Its way too cold here yet....still the odd patch of snow in full shade and floating ice on most ponds!!!

It is often  too cold, too cold, too cold....oops why havnt you got plants ready!

where are you Mel?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 11:25:41 am »

:D :D  Same here  ::)  But I don't sow my courgettes or climbing beans until the end of April otherwise they get too big before I can plant them out.
This is such a different year though that I am wondering about making some earlier sowings just in case it stays mild.  We have had no frost this week at all - but then of course there is plenty of time for that to change  :-\
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS