Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cheap fruit trees Lidl  (Read 12456 times)

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
Cheap fruit trees Lidl
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:21:17 pm »
Hello, everyone. I haven't posted this in Marketplace as it's not me selling.

My father called to say he was in Lidl this morning and they have their fruit tree offer on again.

Check out your local stores online. Apple, pear, plum, cherry and peach. £3.99 each or two for £7.

He bought 10 to create an espalier hedge around the orchard.

Rich :thumbsup:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Cheap fruit trees Lidl
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:38:02 pm »
Damn, I'm desperate for fruit trees, and broke, but haven't got a Lidl near us. Just looked at the Aldi website, they have some gardening stuff coming up ..... http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week08Thursday12.htm?WT.z_src=main

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:36:02 pm »
not as cheap but tesco have some 4-5ft fruit trees in for £7 each at the moment, don't know how good they are but they had loads in the other day.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »
Morrison's have too, didn't look at the price, sorry, as I'm not ready for any as yet, but they were about the £5 mark last eayr
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »
Poundstretchers have some fruit trees in for £5.99. I have eventuallly got round to buying some for this house.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:42:58 pm »
How funny, I was just saying to hubby that we could do with planting some apple and pear tree's in the orchard (since the goats have now decimated the ones in their paddock  ;)   )  anyone bought the Lidl ones? are they any good? for that price I know we could just go buy but money is tight and i want to be careful!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 05:57:19 pm »
TBH with bare root trees it is always a gamble, the ones we got from poundstretchers were really good looking and not all snapped like others we have looked at

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 07:46:12 pm »
If you're worried about quality or want a wider range of varieties I'd recommend Adam's Apples: http://www.talatonplants.co.uk/

We bought our orchard stock from them and are very impressed with the quality. Because we were buying a lot we got them for £6.30 each, but I think they are £10 each for small numbers.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:52:10 pm »
Adam's Apples! Hahahaha!

Good price, though, I'm going to check it out. Ta!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 09:14:50 am »
I've had Morrison's, Lidl, and Aldi's trees in teh past - as well as many of their other plants - quality is fine and they all grew like stink!  Even for a not-very-good-gardener- like me. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 09:35:35 am »
I think they are OK but could be a bit delecate and maybe not so hardy for some parts of Scotland, we were told that by a grower and I can understand why, however we bought some trees from a garden center, 2 apples and a pear and plumb tree, the  plumb died as it was planted where our tiny pond used to be, i think it got gasses by build up of wet in the ground, it looked great for a year then just died...the rest of our trees are great and we have apples but no pears as yet!!!  I also had a nut tree from my daughter and thats wonderful, think I will get some nuts this year, it looks very healthy!!!

Our main issue is some scrumping, we lost all the apples 2 years ago as I kept thinking I would leave them a day or two, then they disapeared.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 10:54:32 am »
Just been and bought 2 apple and 2 pear tree's.  didn't get any plums  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 12:18:07 pm »
Thanks to  Karen, we found we had a tree with a cross between cherries and plums on, they are green/yellow and taste nice, trouble is there is a big stone like the cherry has so they are a pain!! Not sure what the tree is called but its been here a while...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 12:39:08 pm »
are they wild plums? we have a few of them, they are round fruits like cherry's but a bright yellowy green with a stone. make nice wine!

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 01:40:36 pm »
had trees from Lidi 3 years ago to start our orchard and they are going brill - lots of fruit - it like most things give them time and they will produce or go in the compost
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS