Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can't believe it!  (Read 4040 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Can't believe it!
« on: February 20, 2012, 07:03:19 pm »
I had gone away for the weekend to pick up some more Gotland sheep, Tiny was doing really well so I was not worried about anything.  I had originally intended to get two sheep but on the day couldn't decide between three of them and yes, you guessed it, all three came home  ::) ;D.

Then my hubby rang to say that one of my Herdwicks was dead in the field!  ???  I couldn't believe it, but asked him to take the sheep for a post mortem as I need to know what is going on.  Apparently she was absolutely fine yesterday, was eating no probs and clamouring for food as usual.  No sign whatsoever of scours, which all the other sick ones have had.  I'm hoping it's just a bizarre coincidence which is nothing to do with the others, she was a very flighty and nervous sheep and a bad influence on her sister who I think would calm a little without the other one.  I'll be very interested in the outcome!

Anyway a day of mixed emotions but my new Gotlands are absolutely gorgeous!  :love:  They are currently in a small orchard while I organise a bit of my field for them.  Tiny seems to be 100% recovered and can't get enough of food  :D so I am probably giving her more than she needs now just to see her get some weight on  :love: :sheep:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Can't believe it!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »
Sorry to hear about your Herdwick  :( - it will be interesting to see what the cause of death was.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:19:47 pm »
I am just wondering about fluke..... sorry to hear you lost another sheep :(
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22:23 pm »
I think you have a problem.... :-\ fluke springs to my mind too.....! Have you given everyone a fluke and worm drench? Also do you vacinate? If not you might have a clostridial....they don't always scour!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:18:30 am »
What a bummer  :(.  Remember to keep your new ewes well away from the rest of the flock until you know just what's going on.  Good Luck.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:30:05 am »
All of mine were wormed on 8th with Cydectin, the Herdwick that died had been treated with Combinex before I got her.  They are all due vaccination now but the Herdwicks hadn't been vaccinated so I was going to do all the sheep together.

The new girls are not going with the others until I have had the results of the PM and have taken any necessary precautions - how long does it take to get results of a PM?

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:06:33 pm »
What a grim time you've been having, I had a bad year a few years ago now and it makes you start to doubt everything.  The wonder you did with Tiny hopefully gives you some comfort.

Like some others, I've not had good results with Combinex, a separate wormer and flukicide seems to be more effective.  Also, the worm count results should show which type of worm and you can then use the matching wormer. 

You wouldn't be alone in having a problem this year, I've had to use more frequent flukicide doses than ever before and resorted to a broad spectrum wormer (ivermectin) to zap everything before I go back to my usual rotation/testing.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:14:46 pm »
Commiserations Remy. Glad you have some positives to balance tho (tiny and new sheep). I had a PM on my dead sheep on Friday and was able to have a more or less instant result (in fact I was watching and she talked me through everything)(Pneumonia caused by pastuerella bact) although she did also send off some colon samples - got the worm counts back on Monday and still waiting for Salamonella results.  Hope you get helpful news. Fi

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:40:42 pm »
A note regarding wormers and flukicides. Ivermectin based wormers such as cydectin are not effective against fluke. There is a newish wormer around which is cydectin plus a flukicide. The yellow wormers are those effective against all stages of fluke and are the levamisoles. Some of the white wormers in large dose such as Valbazen are effective against some stages of fluke. It is very important to know how much your sheep weigh...they are always heavier than we think so that doses are effective!
Sorry you are having a rough time with all this Remy!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:22:43 pm »
So sorry to hear about your loss, but glad to hear Tiny is still doing well.Hope the twins are fine as well!!
4 pet sheep

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:51:10 pm »
Update on the Herdwick - I got an answerphone message from my vet which was a bit garbled but I think what he was saying was that the sheep appeared to have died from pasteurella.  I'm waiting for him to call back so I can confirm and discuss tactics with him.  Thankfully all my other sheep have had their two doses of Heptavac P and the Herdwicks were the only ones who hadn't, think I've been a bit unlucky in that the other two died from unrelated causes (ie worms!).

I've really had to sort myself out with my coloured flock - I've never had this kind of problem with my resident flock which I've had for six years, and didn't do half the husbandry with them either!  But all this has taught me not to be complacent and that you have to be especially careful when buying in from various sources.

Tiny however has turned into a greedy baaing monster that can't get enough!!  ::)  :D :D and my new Gotlands are  :love: :love: :love:

Human twins are now home and their new mum is rather shellshocked!  ;D

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:19:55 pm »
We've had a pretty torrid time lately too, makes you wonder what you're doing, but also tests your resolve and commitment.  You've done so well with Tiny, just hang on in!
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:04:55 pm »
Hi Remy,
so sorry to hear about your Herdwick. You obviously do your best by your sheep judging by the vigil you've kept over Tiny. Keep us posted on your new girls.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS