Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Runner Ducks.  (Read 7318 times)

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
Runner Ducks.
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »
I am toying with the idea of getting 3 Indian Runner ducks in the next few weeks, the idea behind this is for them to forage in my allotment veg patch to take care of the slugs, caterpillars and other little beasties that cause us problems during the summer months.

Can anyone please give me some information on keeping these funny little creatures? Are they good layers, are runners the best options for pest control or would campbells be better, do runners need wing clipping, would 3 be the best number to get?

Thanks for your help.

brickyard

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Runner Ducks.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »
Hi, we've got runners (about 10 I think, we've got Campbells and East Indians as well)  They do work at keeping the pests down but I found that we have to fence the veg patch round because they will eat the younger leafy veg's.  We have never had to clip the Runners wings and never seen them fly.
  They lay ok, one a day from our "mother duck" with some from the others.
  My favorites are the East Indians really, they're a small breed and not as destructive as the larger breeds.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:39:11 pm »
I love my runners, they just make me laugh.

Never had to clip their wings, they lay well. I've never had a veg patch for them to play in so can't answer that one - certainly they fossick about for bugs well. They love the pond and will repay all effort involved in making them one a hundred times in enjoyment watching them play  ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:03:23 pm »
i adore our runner. we had 3 but ate one (delicious) and the fox took her friend. mine lay for about 4 months, the best eggs! never seen her fly, gentle and no trouble. tho she does go in next door pond  ::) ::)
we need to get some more v soon cos shes lonely. my favourite duck breed.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:06:59 am »
Yes, Runner ducks are hillarious - just get some!  :thumbsup:

The only real thing to watch out for is that their house is tall enough for them. Many commercial duck houses aren't, and though I made my own extra-tall house, the roof is only just high enough for them now they're fully grown.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:22:42 am »
Good point - yes, I made mine too for the same reason  :thumbsup:

arwelcoed

• Joined Feb 2012
  • West midlands
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:57:55 pm »
I bought my wife a pair of runners last week as a valentines present, being the romantic type that I am!!
But I can already see two things... 1. Two will not be enough as they are ace! 2. I will need to change there coop sooner rather than later due to there height!
Fantastic things though, very funny we love them. Can't wait for her first egg! :))

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:51 pm »
I got my wife a pig for valentines day----

Just so that the peope near Cirencester there is a poultry and duck sale at the cirencester cattle market they sell eggs as well starts 10.30 Saturday just of the A419
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:46:27 am »
Do runner ducks get on with free-range chickens, or do you have to keep them separate?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »
Our ducks will chase the chickens if one strays onto their patch (the hens are totally free range, but the ducks only get the run of the orchard). However, it's usually Mr duck who does the chasing, and I suspect his motivations might not be entirely hostile!  :love:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:09 pm »
Hi, we have 8 runners and yes they are great. Had our first egg off one last Saturday and it tasted great. They were incubator hatched beginning of August 2011. All have characters and ours completely free range although unlike the hens who wander they tend to always stay close to each other (and not far from our geese). Get some!! :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 09:39:38 am »
My ducks and hens do mainly get along just fine, they do sleep in different accommodation though.
I would not let either of them into my veg plot! Hugh F-W did that as an experiment at River Cottage once and yes, there were no slugs left - but not much veg either  ;D While I go along I pick the slugs and snails into a collection bucket with a lid and treat the birds when i'm done in the garden. :&>

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 09:49:43 am »
Daft question time....Can Geese and Ducks share the same housing? We have an old shed that used to house Ducks...but we were wondering if we could use it for both???
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 01:58:47 pm »
Goldcraig

Our geese, hens and ducks all have separate sheds but recently some of the hens have started laying in the duck house and the ducks are often found in the hen house at lock up time. We have no problems with them interacting together but they have free range so have plenty of space to avoid each other if they want. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS