Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Diatomaceous earth - online suppliers?  (Read 11726 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Diatomaceous earth - online suppliers?
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:24:09 pm »
Just wondered if anyone had researched or found a good online supplier a my local stockists don't seem to have it.  I remember a worrying story about some bought online that might have been fake, brick dust or something? ???  Can't remember exactly but thought the collective responses might be useful on genuine retailers, good prices, reliable delivery etc..

Not sure how much I'll need for 8 chooks either, the only container I have seen seemed quite small and might not give them all a good dustbath..

Thanks
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Diatomaceous earth - online suppliers?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:09 pm »
SPR do it and I've found them a good company to deal with, so I'd trust their stuff was kosher.

http://www.sprcentre.com/

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:12:57 pm »
Hi Ellied, I bought a huge sack of it from Ebay (it was the same price as a small sack!), and you're welcome to as much as you like, pro-rata for the cost plus postage, or collection from Grangemouth if you ever pass that way?

Just let me know if that's of any interest.

Cheers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:15:17 pm »
Hi Ellied, I bought a huge sack of it from Ebay (it was the same price as a small sack!), and you're welcome to as much as you like, pro-rata for the cost plus postage, or collection from Grangemouth if you ever pass that way?

Just let me know if that's of any interest.

Cheers!
Hi David - are you coming to the AGM?  I could do with some if you have enough to spare. :-*
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:18:58 pm »
Unlikely at this stage Annie, but if I do, I'll bring some with me. 

I can picture it now: "A Smallholder was arrested last night for selling plastic bags of white powder from the boot of his car in a dark pub car park. Police say that the powder has an estimated street value of, darn, about £2.50".  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:20:01 pm »
Unlikely at this stage Annie, but if I do, I'll bring some with me. 

I can picture it now: "A Smallholder was arrested last night for selling plastic bags of white powder from the boot of his car in a dark pub car park. Police say that the powder has an estimated street value of, darn, about £2.50".  ;D
I just love your sense of humour! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 07:14:59 am »
Sounds great Womble, but I have never been to Grangemouth and no plans in that direction at present - I'm away to Italy on Monday for 5 days but fly back in around midnight so a diversion on the way home is unlikely too ;)

If you have enough for Annie and myself you could give it to her and I'll pick up my share when I get home, just let me know the cost.  Or let me know where you got it from if it's an ebay retailer rather than private sale? and I'll go have a look as there is a friend staying here who could sign for deliveries..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »
Sounds great Womble, but I have never been to Grangemouth and no plans in that direction at present - I'm away to Italy on Monday for 5 days but fly back in around midnight so a diversion on the way home is unlikely too ;)

If you have enough for Annie and myself you could give it to her and I'll pick up my share when I get home, just let me know the cost.  Or let me know where you got it from if it's an ebay retailer rather than private sale? and I'll go have a look as there is a friend staying here who could sign for deliveries..
Have PMed David.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 06:58:37 pm »
how much do you need?

i have a few bags left over from my last red mite epidemic, i think they are 5kg each if you want one, i'mnot that far away from you

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 09:23:01 pm »
im about to get some from somerset from a friend. i think she got 100kg's from somewhere online   il try find out. i got 8kg off her last time  bloke delivering it must of thought the grey fine powder was  heroin  dealer with packages in 2 corn/pellet bags

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 09:32:12 pm »
Well it costs a lot in them tubs......I could do with some too, gave my last lot to a neighbour!!!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 10:25:52 pm »
i got 20kg from ebay, all checked out can't remember from which supplier though

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:20 pm »
Not done E Bay for ages :(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:03 pm »
Cameron, I'd love to put my name up for some if it's not all spoken for yet - once I'll be back driving. My leg's still in a Beckham boot for at least another 4 weeks though - or are you ever coming up our way?  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 01:10:40 pm »
Cameron, I'd love to put my name up for some if it's not all spoken for yet - once I'll be back driving. My leg's still in a Beckham boot for at least another 4 weeks though - or are you ever coming up our way?  :&>
If we can get a connection from Cameron to me, I can do a run up to Fife - you and Ellie.  Or if I get some from David I can do the same - need to agree cost of it between you, happy to hand over cash and get back when i deliver

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS