Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: projects for the weekend?  (Read 5447 times)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
projects for the weekend?
« on: March 27, 2009, 03:22:18 pm »
I just wondered, as most of us are busy doing the boring stuff during the week. What big plans do you have for the weekend? I want to finish off my new pig enclosure and do a bit of planting.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: projects for the weekend?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 03:54:56 pm »
i've 4 raised beds to fill with compost - that'll be them ready for planting.

I'm putting my spuds in tomorrow, i'm sowing peas, beans, sweetcorn, in pots to get them going - will move them outside once they are a decent size

will also sow carrot, parsnip, beetroot direct into the beds

then off to the garden centre, want a few more fruit plants

I've to finish sorting out the shed as well, it's nerly all kitted out - much to Mrs SB's delight

then on sunday i might sow another batch of chilli, pepper and tom seeds and i'll start on building the dog agility course!!!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:40:52 pm »
Hi, on Saturday am building a base for a new greenhouse, gonna put it on slabs, and on Sunday will plant spuds. Weather looks ok.
JD 

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:52:42 pm »
going to help a friend sort out her garden - should be fun!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:20:29 pm »
I have anew lounge carpet coming next week so I have to clear the furniture and bits and bobs out of the room.  Kids coming over Sunday to help.  Hope it's snowing here! ;)  then I won't be miserable at not getting outside.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:32:20 pm »
Annie, don't you DARE wish for snow.

Scarify the grass and sow grass seed if the wind dies down. Finish the sheep shed in preparation for lambing - get the curtains up and stuff :), go for hay and straw and chicken feed and to the vet's for some bits and bobs (lovely man). Clean out big hen house. Ride horse.

Maybe not in that order, though.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:47:41 pm »
ride horse; look at ewes; walk dogs; check ewes; muck out stables, chicken coop, and house; have a peek at the ewes, 'sort out' the extra cockerels, stare and glare at ewes;....visit friends and then rush home to sit in middle of field wondering WHEN ARE THESE DA***ED EWES GOING TO LAMB?'' try and get some sleep, and then get up in middle of night to check those sheep again.

Emma

PS ...The one who was possibly due on Monday has not produced anything....

Why is it that the one with the biggest most preposterously enormous udders, for the last two weeks, is actually not due to lamb until 8th April? By that time she will be treading on her teats!! There are coos along the road who are getting jealous...I am thinking of renaming her Jordan!!!
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

sandy

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:24 pm »
Clean, shop cook,clean , clean, clean, make beds, cook cook and of course EAT.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 10:04:13 pm »
Annie, don't you DARE wish for snow.

Scarify the grass and sow grass seed if the wind dies down. Finish the sheep shed in preparation for lambing - get the curtains up and stuff :), go for hay and straw and chicken feed and to the vet's for some bits and bobs (lovely man). Clean out big hen house. Ride horse.

Maybe not in that order, though.

Never mind, Rosemary, you'll soon be retired and can do these things on a weekday!  No, I don't really wish for snow - I hate the stuff except when I can play in it with the dogs! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 03:30:39 pm »
plant tatties, get grow bags, get hubby to move stuff for tatties, discover that each packet of tatties has 10 in it to now have 30 tatties  so that 2 to a pot so i know need another 15 pots !!!! and soil for the pots (oh poo, wish i didn't buy on implus, and my hubby just incurrages me when it come to gardening) but then again i do the say for him and football.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 03:49:17 pm »
Catch piglets who are going to new homes.  Fence the bottom field.  Try to move sows down to bottom field.  Try to keep sows in bottom field.  Try to keep Hilary out of bottom field.  Do French homework for Monday (its like being 16 again).

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 04:35:05 pm »
 So far this weekend Carly has sorted out all the seedlings,planted up some more and is currently plucking the goose I killed this morning for tomorrow's lunch with 4 other friends coming over. I've planted a gooseberry bush in honour of our latest departure,cleaned the barn in readiness of the weaners we're picking up on Monday,and I've started joining sheets of plywood cut-outs with epoxy.Next week I'll have a hand-built canadian kayak to go screaming down the river in,just as long as I can get it out of the loft window!  Just off to cut some kindling,bring in the logs,open a bottle and slump down in front of the fire for the evening with a book.... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS