Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goats worm egg count results  (Read 2930 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
goats worm egg count results
« on: February 15, 2012, 03:00:17 pm »
Hi
could do with some advice please
Just got results back from an worm egg count on my goats.
2 adults are
1 has 50 epg  and 1 has under 50 - Strongyle type
1 adult also has low level of cocci eggs
9 month old is 300 epg Strongyle type. (apparently the threshold), clear for cocci

questions,
should I worm the adults (now 7wk before kidding) or wait untill they kid? (I am thinking worming when just kidded would be best)

9 month old was wormed in December with Rycobin, surprised at the 300 per gram count, but apparently younger animals are more susceptable to worms.
For the amount of wormer I use, (I try and rotate fields rather than routine worming) I get some from a sheep farmer, doubling the dose as advised by a breeder.
Should I use the same wormer, a different sheep wormer or can anyone suggest different?
They are currently housed being turned out for about an hour each day in about 1/4 acre, mainly for exercise.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: goats worm egg count results
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:25:47 pm »
I am no expert but when I get worm egg counts done from my vet my understanding is that is it is less than 300 then that is ok so dont need worming.  I understand it is also good practice to rotate wormers annually- there are white wormers ie panacur, yellow wormers ie levamisole and avermectins ie ivermectin - also not to overworm or underdose as will lead to resistance to the wormer.  Based on this I would probably hold fire on the worming at the moment - but check with your vet for their advise.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:53:30 am »
thanks for the reply cuckoo
got some wormer for the youngsters but need to sort the cocci out before kidding, vet says find another goatkeeper with the medication or it will be very expensive just for the 4 goats. I don't suppose it's something a goat keeper would shout about their goats having, so I don't know where to start on that one (not many goat keepers locally)
Can anyone advise me on the medication available? vet didn't say.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:08:14 pm »
What's your problem with Cocci? All goats will shed some amounts of cocci in their faeces, it only becomes a problem for youngsters if they get overwhelmed with them before they have built up some resistance.

I have treated coccidiosis in both goat kids and lambs with injections of Intradine, rather than using the more usual Veccoxan. But you would have to order a whole bottle of it from the vets, as under cascade they now can only use Veccoxan.

Worm adults just after kidding.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:41:51 pm »
Thanks Anke
both the vet and the breeder of my girls said it should be sorted before kiddng, but the report did say low count, and now you mention it I have read somewhere that it is everywhere, just me wanting everything to be right I suppose. I was given the impression by a goatkeeper that people don't say they have problems because their kids could pass it on at shows.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:39:49 am »
When adult goats are pregnant, the pregnancy hormones keep worms completely at bay- which your count seems to indicate as well. The danger time for them is after they kid, when worms which have been dormant seek to hit in hard when the is slightly weaker due to having given birth. It is much better to worm the week after kidding.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS