Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cesar and Datatag  (Read 2279 times)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Cesar and Datatag
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:29:34 am »
There has been a spate of equipment thefts around here so we thought we'd look at getting some of the kit tagged.  The police are very keen on the Cesar scheme.  Apparently the big manufacturers have woken up to the fact that having one ignition key for all their tractors is stupid.  So we went to the website which is very fussy and difficult to follow and refers a lot to Datatag who seem to make all the products.

But they don't seem to sell them.  The dealer finder on the Datatag site is under construction but after they ignored my email I phoned and got the three nearest installers.  None could quote over the phone, and only two rang back.  One did ring back but knew nothing about the products.  The second also knew nothing about the products but was nevertheless able to quote the same price (£120) for quite different types plus £50 travel.  Since all the products seem to be stickers, passive transponders and other things to glue on I don't see why I should call a mechanic out to do it.

Looking on the web it seems you can get trailer and motorcycle kits for around £60 which if it really does permanently mark your stuff and make it less saleable when stolen sounds like a good thing.  But the whole thing looks like a complete amateurish mess.

Has anyone got any experience of this or other ways of securing farm kit?  Do they work?

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Cesar and Datatag
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:49 am »
Perhaps I shouldn't say this (I've had a difficult night's work) but a 12 bore shotgun fits all ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:28 am »
Our police have signed up to Smartwater - it's a secure maring system that gives your hlding a unique code. It can't be overwritten or scored out by crims. I suppose technically it doesn't stop stuff being stolen but it's easily traced. I think you get a sign to put up that says everything is doused in Smartwater, as a deterrent.

Just waiting on our local bobby coming to do our stuff.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:30:23 am »
We had something similar on the kids bikes - 25 years ago! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:15:44 pm »
Thirty years ago I had my postcode stamped on my bike by the old Bill for nothing.  Now they say that none of the manufacturers VIN numbers etc on cars are reliable because they're the first to be erased.  Hence the development of these "DNA" solutions you dab onto the vehicle in lots of places

I had Smartwater on a bike about a decade ago, but Datatag is supposed to go a lot further.  In addition to a DNA paint they provide some button sized chip transponders which you glue somewhere in the vehicle, a UV etching kit and a couple of big tough-to-remove stickers with the registration number to go on a trailer hitch. 

It looks really well thought through - apart from the selling of it which is abysmal.  Of the two dealers who responded one has phoned back to recommend the other because it's not really a business they're in. 

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:33:22 pm »
the best one is a tracker   but you rent it         you used to buy them if you have it fitted they pay out if the tracker does not switch on
up in Scotland  gap plant used to have a mini digger that was stolen every weekend and recovered the next week it had some tag system fitted   if you ask at a depot they might tell you which system they have
usually the cost of these systems are shown in reduced premiums :farmer:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:33:44 pm »
Hadn't thought of tracker.  I think some calculations around the insurance savings are needed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS