Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gluten free sausages  (Read 7310 times)

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
Gluten free sausages
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:46:14 pm »
I would like to make some of these. Can anyone recommend a tasty seasoning and rusk?  It will be given to the abattoir to make the sausages with and then sold on (but mainly to be given to a very good friend who loans us his swish trailer who eats guten free).

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Gluten free sausages
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 03:13:13 pm »
Can't answer your question, but I can tell you that the "soya bean flour" contained in Black Farmer sausages *really* disagrees with me :(

Perhaps gram (chickpea) flour is worth looking at?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:39:52 pm »
I've found that the gluten free mixes that are commercially available are either too strong or disagee with my customers.

I've found that mixing my own seasonings and leaving out the rusk works well.

If you'd like me to mix you some up Allison and send them up just let me know........you'll just have to let me know the amount of meat you are using and I'll work it out from there.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »
you will have to have a lot of trust in the company that is making these sausages what happens if the are not 100% gluten free and have you got insurance :farmer:

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:31:01 pm »
Good point Robert and it is something I will check with trading standards to make sure if I use a commercially prepared mix that if anything happens it goes back to the manufacturer.

Julie, I will speak to the abattoir to see if they can just leave the rusk out of the sausages.. I spend enough with them every month! Thank you for your lovely offer though..I may well take you up on it.

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:51:54 pm »
Well, I've just brought back my own gluten-free sausages from the butchery course.  They are 100% meat, the only additive is the Lincoln sausage mix - salt, pepper and sage.  No rusk.

They are without doubt the best sausages I have ever eaten.  (I know, I am biased - but they really are exceptional.)

They don't shrink, they don't spit, and two medium ones is plenty per person as they are full of protein and goodness, no padding.

I am a convert!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:55:06 pm »
i make gluten free sausage and forcemeat alot. i use a Juvela bread roll that my lad gets for his coeliac condition. they work very well indeed. just have to leave them cut in half for a day to dry them out a bit. these also work very well as a bread crumb coat for fish and the schnitzel is to die for! but as said above no rusk needed if you make the sausage right and use the correct fat content in the mixture. i think you will find getting them into the casings evenly will be the biggest problem at the start. good luck!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:31:56 am »
sally what did they use as a binding agent
100% meat was there no fat included  :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:16 pm »
sally what did they use as a binding agent
100% meat was there no fat included  :farmer:
Well, aye, there was fat in the meat - it was all the trimmings from cutting up the carcass, but no extra fat. 

The butcher said there was nothing in the sprinkle besides salt, pepper and sage.  I didn't see the label.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:55:51 am »
You can use rice.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 11:06:48 am »
You can use rice.

the Spanish use rice for black pudding and call it morcilla. never made it but it is very stable to cook with.
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 05:22:12 pm »
Hi Sally
The seasoning carrier is rice flour and only trace amounts 3oz seasoning to 10lb mix in old money
Cheers
Arl

Mel

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 08:07:47 pm »
Perhaps no help as am a novice in this department but,when I had my last batch of sausages done we used http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/content/cumberland-herb-gluten-free-sausage-mix

I only sold to friends around the village and family and they all had a tester and the sausages all 46kg sold out within a week.Said they were delicious,we both enjoyed them though we did lower the mix rate as the first few sausages we tested did seem somewhat strong.

Not hijacking the post Allison but wondered if anyone else has used the above company and if so what are your thoughts upon this?

We had all gluten free sausage and burger mix from this company.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS