• Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Reeds
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:38 am »
1. Improve the drainage

2. Top hard

3. Consider spraying but consider using a weed wiper not a sprayer i

4. Some people claim that they don't like nitrogen and put loads of slurry on them. I quote from elsewhere 'Rushes don't like nitrogen, you don't see them where there is a lot of nitrogen put out or on slurry ground, but only on ground that can take up the nitrogen, i.e. make sure there is enough lime first'

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 03:16:17 pm »
So are we talking about Juncus sp. then?

If so....

Cattle will take the top growth in autumn (native/hardy breeds)
Topping in spring/summer helps, then aftermath grazing
Apparently topping in winter and letting flood and frost hit the clumps is also effective

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 05:07:34 pm »
So are we talking about Juncus sp. then?

If so....

Cattle will take the top growth in autumn (native/hardy breeds)
Topping in spring/summer helps, then aftermath grazing
Apparently topping in winter and letting flood and frost hit the clumps is also effective

I'm still wondering
Welshlass where are you? please come back and let us know

a lot of ths advice I will certainly be trying this year on my rushes (juncus :) )

BTW - does anyone have any REED roots spare?

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 05:22:15 pm »
Hi.  Looking at the photos they are rushes and not reeds -- my bad.  I'm in Carmarthenshire :)

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 05:55:24 pm »
henchard you are wrong         up in Scotland ground that has slurry spread on it is always cut for silage  you need dry fields for silage not wet tuffs of poor quality forage   also the ground would not stand self propelled choppers and 14 ton capacity trailers :farmer:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »
Hi.  Looking at the photos they are rushes and not reeds -- my bad.  I'm in Carmarthenshire :)
Thanks welshlass
I've always known them as reeds, it's only relatively recent that I found out the truth.

So-
its basicly cutting, hard grazing and then weedkiller . (drainage is not an option on our fields at the moment, it's little by little (by hand digging and clearing the old field drains)
I was told pigs would root them out, but the field would be left a mess. But if you've ever tried digging one out, it isn't easy!
Henchard - unfortunately we were advised against a weed wipe on our land, unless you have nice level ground the 'arms' would be all over the place, (and could get broken) and the hand held one would take all day.
I did wonder if they preferred poor land, hoping to get it limed this spring.
Our fields are full of lumps, bumps and hollows - hard work and scary on a narrow little tractor, that's if we ever get it running again.
Might try and get the machine mower running before the next frosts.

Perhaps don't be too keen to remove them all, apart from natures lamb creeps, there's a lot of wildlife rely on them for shelter, it amuses me to see a pheasant duck down behind a clump, with his long tail stuck out behind ;D.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 06:34:00 pm »
Thank you pennine :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS