Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reeds  (Read 19770 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Reeds
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:41:21 am »
Is there any way, other than spraying, to get rid of them?  We're hoping to get the land ploughed and turn our pigs onto it to hopefully eat the roots and to poo everywhere.  Will this help?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Reeds
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:16 am »
Surely any land with reeds will be far too wet for pigs...?  ???

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:11:58 am »
I looked at a lot of properties in Ireland where you would think reeds were the main crop!  The bad news when I researched it was that the spores/seeds can lie dormant for 30 years....

No matter what you do it will be annual process. We sprayed once and it didn't make any noticeable difference.  I think maybe you should cut them then spray?  I you are putting pigs on then they will definitely break them up, but reeds may still appear in future if you return to pasture.

Also need to look at drainage in this area.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:14:05 am »
reed roots are the last thing the pigs will touch      the only proper way to get rid of them is drain the land
you can also make haylage from them  if the ground will support the equipment  cattle and sheep wont touch them when they are growing but once inside a bale they love them
sometimes reseeding can eliminate them for a year or two
but as yorkshirelass has said if there are reeds it would be to wet for pigs :farmer:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:11:09 pm »
We have a field next to a river that was 3/4 reeds. Hubby dug out  a lot of drainage ditches through the reeds and this really started the drying out . after that we put some colts on the land these were New Forest colts used to foraging the rough stuff and they nibbled away at shoots but also their hooves turned the ground over.
This all coupled with improved drainage is slowly killing the reeds off they just dont like being disturbed too much or dried out. The whole process has taken a couple of years and we are going to plough and reseed it probably this spring if there is not too much reed regrowth.
The key is really to get the ground to dry out.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »
Cut them hard in the summer, then again when they start to grow again about 6 weeks later, again hard.  Have stock in the field throughout, preferably all or including sheep.  Repeat next year and probably every four or five years.

If you want to spray, cut them first then when the new shoots are big enough go over with a weed wiper.  You'll need to keep stock off while you spray and for a period afterwards - and be aware that the chemical is extremely persisitent and will continue to kill broadleaved plants in the excreted or muckspread dung of the animals that eat the treated reshes, whether they eat it wilted in the field or ensiled as silage next winter.  Not a problem unless your muck ends up on vegetable areas ...  :o

And yes, nothing is a long term solution unless you drain it - but keeping sheep and/or native ponies on and topping the reshes whenever they get tough and unappealing to the stock will keep them manageable.

If you have sheep and lamb them, remember that the reshes are mother nature's lamb creeps : the lambs will get a lot of shelter from them.  So don't remove them all in fields where you will lamb or run young lambs.

I can't tell you about pigs' ploughing being a solution, I have wondered about it myself but would have to find a way to give the pigs some drier ground as well so they are not forced to be only on the wet, reshy ground.  In any case, pretty much all our reshy ground is covered by one environmental scheme or another so we are restricted in what we are allowed to do - and ploughing, whether by pig or by machine, would not be acceptable!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 12:47:30 pm »
Just what Sally says, keep cutting them.

That's what I've done and I am now getting on top of them.

Drainage and liming will also help.

I would echo the concern about land that grows reeds (seaves we call them in this part of Cumbria) being far too wet for pigs. I'd have loved pigs but not here - the place would be a bog in no time flat, the sheep make enough mess with their little feet in the winter.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 07:58:41 pm »
The pigs are on hard standing with access to the entire field.  We're planning on fencing in the hard standing ready for when the farmer comes to plough it for us.  We've dug out one ditch and the other one will need to be dug out by hand :( will be working on the drainage a lot this year.

The land needs turning and rolling anyway i think and if i'm honest it can't make it any worse :) thank you

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 08:49:19 pm »
We have soft rush. It was really bad last year - we didn't do anything with it in 2010 - we have one bad field and bits in other fields. Last year we sprayed them - you have to spray when the flowers open. Even though Dan spot sprayed carefully, the clover round about each clump of rush was killed. Later in the year, I strimmed them.

We've had drainage put in (what a difference  :thumbsup:) and limed. I think we'll try cutting them this year as the spray was pretty nasty stuff.

Good luck with the battle  :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 09:34:20 pm »
Just wondering - are we talking about reeds or rushes? many, including myself untill I checked the books, call soft rush - reeds. I would like the proper reeds to grow here, they would be much more useful than the fields of rushes I can't get rid of, spray didn't seem to do much and cutting them is killing ME off! Goats nibble the tops in this weather but that ain't gonna kill em.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 10:07:09 pm »
That did cross my mind when I first posted...

Not to be patronising, but

Reeds

Rushes

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 11:08:41 pm »
the reeds will take a bit more draining ;D :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 03:50:10 am »
Ah. Seaves = Juncus species, ie the rushes in the photos.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:05 am »
Ah. Seaves = Juncus species, ie the rushes in the photos.
And a little further north, they're reshes.

As Robert says, actual reeds will 'take a bit more draining'!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 10:34:13 am »
CUT, CUT, CUT!!  WE'VE REGAINED OVER 20ACRES SO FAR, IN ABOUT TEN YEARS THIS WAY...STILL HAVE ANOTHER FIELD TO TACKLEBUT ITS WORKED, DRIED THE GROUND OUT AND NOW WE GET A GOOD HAY CROP FROM THESE FIELDS. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS