Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Re-starting the family farm  (Read 3371 times)

kenoessex

• Joined Feb 2012
Re-starting the family farm
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:52:38 pm »
  :farmer:Hi Everyone, May ijust say what a fantastic site this is, I  love reading all the posts and learning about farming.
So here' my scenario that i'm sure you can help me with.
My father-in-law was a farmer all his life, but 5 or 6 years ago he retired, after 50 years, he has a small farm of 60 acres that mainly consisted of a large potato crop and vegtables,also in the seventies they had a herd of cows and pigs aswell. Now the farm is completely redundent and his income is mainly from people paying him to store caravans and use old cowsheds for storage. i have now made a desicion to try make some use of the farm by starting out with a small herd of British saddleback pigs and also looking at farming turkeys in another part of the farm. I'm aware of registering the land  for cph no. and with AHVLA as a live stock keeper, but, Once i've completed these steps, Do i need to notify my local council of my intentions to resume having animals back on the farm. Obviously i can visit the on duty planning officer at the town hall  but im sure someone can help.
I have many more questions and look forward to getting to know some of you better, who knows i may end up doing buisness with some of you. Kind Regards. ken
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:57:48 pm by kenoessex »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Re-starting the family farm
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Ken, I'm sure you'll enjoys being one of us.

Did your father in law give his farm number up?  If not, I'd have thought he could transfer it to you as it comes with the land, doesn't it?  Good luck with whatever you decide.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kenoessex

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:06:57 pm »
Hi Doganjo, We are still members of the NFU so i presume he will still have his farm no. i'll check that when he's back from holiday. thanks.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:10 pm »
Hello ken,
cannot help with farm issues sorry, but welcome and look forward to following your journey to farmer hood  :wave:

kenoessex

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:42 pm »
Thanks Mammyshaz, regards to you.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:54:29 pm »
Your father will probably have notified Trading standards that he's no l;onger keeping stock - in which case you'll need to renotify. Check you've got flock/herd numbers depending on what you're going to keep....and Good Luck!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:54:35 pm »
Hey, good for you  :thumbsup:

Look forward to hearing about your adventures! Sixty acres will be good to play with - and lots of helpful, knowledgeable folk on here to help you.

Oh, and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:19:28 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from sunny Shropshire.  Sounds like a real adventure and one you are going to enjoy.

kenoessex

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 06:53:53 pm »
Thanks for your comments people, My kindest regards go out to all. I'm going to post some pictures this weekend of the land where i plan for the pigs and turkeys to be housed. As i want all the animals to be reared out doors and have large areas to be free to roam, with sufficient shelter when needed, i've decided to buy some weaners pigs to keep for 6-7 months from aprill, and look to introduce the turkey poults from end of june, which in both cases gives me time to erect there living areas. The pigs ?, i'm not really expecting to make a profit on, but to enjoy having them, many people talk of how fun they are to keep. I enquired to a poultry firm this week for 100 poults that were norfolk blacks, but the company were not able to do the order and directed me to Kelly black turkeys that we actually bought from our local butcher last xmas, i may do some enquires into the bronze that i presume is still popular and can be reared outside for the five months, lots to learn people, but im under no pressure to earn money from the farm, but i still want to pay a rent and cover food costs for my guests. Regards. kenny.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »
Hi Kenoessex and welcome to the forum. Great opportunity but a hard life farming I think. At least you haven't got too much of a financial burden holding you back. The farm will still be an agricultural holding as far as the council are concerned -very difficult to change that. Have locals here who have tried to buy farms, sell off the land and develop the farmhouse and outbuildings for domestic use without much success. It has been done mind.

kenoessex

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:49:12 pm »
Cheers Chris, Once a farm allways a farm i guess, We did sell the main Essex barn for peanuts to a builder and he struggled to get permission to convert it to residential for over 3 years, but eventually he did win it on appeal and now it 's worth £900.000 But that was a listed building. Rest of the buildings will never ger res, so farmings our only option. Regards. kenny.

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 12:01:59 pm »
Hello from me up in Lanarkshire  :wave:

You will love keeping pigs - they're great  :thumbsup: I'm glad you realise they won't turn you into a millionairre in terms of cash but you'll be rich in funny stories and 'kodak moments'  ;) Definately start with weaners for pork and do this a couple of times to really get you up on the handling/legislation before you think about breeding. I don't want to put you off, but it's prudent to be fully prepared before piglets start arriving  ;)

I'd re-apply for a CPH and herd numbers in your own name - even if it's only to cover the fields you're actually using, there's no cost for it and it means that when animal health send out information or if they need to contact you - you'll get the information first hand.

Good luck with your projects
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS