Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass harrow  (Read 5817 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Grass harrow
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:32:44 pm »
Looks like we'll be buying a tractor this year - we've been offered a 1987 John Deere 1140 (56hp, 2WD). It was bought new by a farmer friend of ours and he's said we can borrow it for a few months to see if we like it  8) then buy it if we do.

It's only for grassland maintenance and lifting bales (although I'm sure we'll find other uses for it as time goes on).

Our grass needs a good clean out - there are some pretty matted bits and some mossy bits. What would be the best harrow to get to sort it out?

robert waddell

Re: Grass harrow
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:43:52 pm »
you can go the old fashioned method and use chain harrows these can be mounted on a frame for lifting or without the frame and just drag them      they wear at the chain links and can fall to pieces if Dan is good with a welder that will be alright       the new style opico harrows are better but dearer around £2000 but you can so grass seed with them
your john dung will be near enough vintage at that age and vintage price :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:16:57 pm »
if Dan is good with a welder that will be alright       

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:50:18 pm »
well he can learn cant he :farmer:

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:08:39 pm »
2wd is ok in the dry, 4wd will get you out in any situations
same as an car   eg: nissan micra =2wd     toyota hilux =4wd   if you had an choice which 1 would you go for. :)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 03:16:40 pm »
2wd is ok in the dry, 4wd will get you out in any situations
same as an car   eg: nissan micra =2wd     toyota hilux =4wd   if you had an choice which 1 would you go for. :)

Depends on your land and tractors - I've had to rescue a 4wd tractor with an older 2wd! It actually had more oomph and was lighter - the 4wd, being more modern, was heavier and more sluggish.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »
2 wheel drive you are carefull where you go and when you go out in it
4 wheel drive gives a  feeling of overconfidence  either steep land or wet conditions  and is the main cause of soil compaction :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:43:37 am »
I'm with robert on this one.  Our farm is in the uplands of north Cumbria, includes moss (peat bog) and hectares of reshy ground...  Until 2 years ago, BH had only ever had 2WD tractors. 

I'd say 2WD would be fine on your spot, Rosemary.  56bhp isn't a great deal of power these days, but unless you want to sling girt heavy wet bales of silage about you should be ok. 

Lucky you, it sounds like a good machine, and you can give it a thorough test drive too.  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:04 am »
Spring tine harrow according to Peter Scott at Oatridge on Saturday, but chain harrow would do if that's all that's available

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:32:25 am »
We bought a spring tine harrow - disnae half pull oot the rubbish grass and moss.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS