Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese laying  (Read 2031 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Geese laying
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:28:43 pm »
We had minus 6C this morning and with a skimming of snow already lying on the frozen surface ,one of our Toulouse geese decided to build a pile of straw and lay her first egg , mad animal.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Geese laying
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:12:41 pm »
Silly girl  :D  ::)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:00:48 pm »
OOh how old is your Toulouse?  I have two that were born last April and am wondering if I might get an egg sometime soon??,  Although I guess it would help if i somehow found out if they were actually geese or ganders  :-[

xxx
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:36:05 pm »
Mine are just getting into breeding groups, I have one that has gone to join a goose next door and a stray from somewhere that came to join mine as a lame visitor and remained!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:30:20 am »
Hi Stephb , ours are about 12 month old, they were given to us because they have angel wings, saves having to clip them.
They started getting territorial about three weeks ago so we knew they were coming up to laying , so we should be picking up 1egg per bird every other day
Yours wont be far behind , just make sure they have some straw to make a big nest with. ours decided the stallion's stable was a suitable place, he's not impressed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS