Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Live Weight/Dead weight  (Read 19421 times)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Live Weight/Dead weight
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:55:27 pm »
Hi,

When lambs go to slaughter and Live weight is say 45kg what would you expect the dead weight to be (roughly) when lamb is returned fully butchered.

What price per kilo do you sell at.

Thanks
You are never to old to learn something new

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Live Weight/Dead weight
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:02:24 pm »
About half.

Varies between £5 and £13 per kg and everything goes to friends and neighbours. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:08:35 pm »
about 22kg and  about £80-£100 a full lamb and £45-£55 per half lamb. only sell in half and full otherwise you may get left with odds and ends and people asking for a half lamb with and extra leg so you got to use 2 lambs to satisfy 1 order

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »
We live off the "odds and ends".  They're the tasty bits.  But we hate doing roast dinners (too many greasy pans to be cleaned)
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:06:49 am »
about 22kg and  about £80-£100 a full lamb and £45-£55 per half lamb. only sell in half and full otherwise you may get left with odds and ends and people asking for a half lamb with and extra leg so you got to use 2 lambs to satisfy 1 order

Is that worth doing? Even stores here are making nearly £80 with finished lambs averaging £85. Add in £25 to kill and butcher and I'd want £125 + to make it worthwhile.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:27:41 am »
I say about half too. I reckon it goes in in kg and comes out in lbs.
In October, I sold half lambs only and charged £10 per kilo, so whole lambs were in the region of £180 -£200.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:20 pm »
I say about half too. I reckon it goes in in kg and comes out in lbs.
In October, I sold half lambs only and charged £10 per kilo, so whole lambs were in the region of £180 -£200.

We put our 5 away in mid November. Combined deadweight was 105kg. We sold half lambs for £10/kg. The halfs were between 8 and 9.5kg.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:46:32 pm »
I charge £80/ half lamb and £150 per full lamb and I consider that cheap. You couldnt out a lamb together in tescos for that price and I consider my product superior to theirs.

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 10:09:14 pm »
Very interesting......

My reason for asking for all the input was wondering if it's really worth slaughtering for your own freezer (baring you know you produced it -know what its been reared on and any chemicals it's had - plus you've hopefully given it a good, stress free life)

With 'market' prices quite good at the moment,  I was interested to see the difference between selling at the local market £80 for a 43kg lamb OR getting some slaughtered and butcher packed, selling some and keeping whats left for me (I don't mind the 'bits' left over... ;D I love lamb casserole/pies  :yum: more than joints or chops )

OH doesn't eat meat (since a small child) he just doesn't like the taste - he doesn't know whats he's missing - me I'm a real carnivore...

Thanks again

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 06:35:11 pm »
hey

am new to this forum but i know that its roughly 48% of the live weight but rule of thumb half the live weight and take a kilo off

hope i could help

Garvie

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:46:12 pm »
hey

am new to this forum but i know that its roughly 48% of the live weight but rule of thumb half the live weight and take a kilo off

hope i could help

Garvie

welcome garvie :wave: - see what an interesting and informative forum this is.

hope you keep posting...

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 08:57:07 pm »
We will sell 22kg lambs butchered and packed at £120-130 a lamb! come on guys your lamb is worth that, think of all the time you put into them. running about , fuel , feed etc the butcher draws more than that and customers go to him. Mostly we are all selling good quality, well grown, home grown lamb. get out there and market it properly, don't give it away :farmer:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 09:56:19 pm »
We will sell 22kg lambs butchered and packed at £120-130 a lamb! come on guys your lamb is worth that, think of all the time you put into them. running about , fuel , feed etc the butcher draws more than that and customers go to him. Mostly we are all selling good quality, well grown, home grown lamb. get out there and market it properly, don't give it away :farmer:

Well put, my thoughts exactly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS