Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Schmallenberg virus detected in eastern England  (Read 22281 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Schmallenberg virus detected in eastern England
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 02:24:05 pm »
Sorry for your losses :(

Gosh, I didn't cotton on to the difficulties in actually lambing the deformed lambs.

Mind you, I gather that current opinion is NOT to cull the affected ewes as they think they'll now be immune?

This page seems full of info http://warmwell.com/schmallenbergall.html

Amy4

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 07:37:05 pm »
Tilly sorry to hear about your lost ones. Glad it didn't affect too many for you.
I am also in Norfolk and so far no bad news for our flock. However a local farmer was badly affected she passed on 3 of her lambs to us. One of them we sadly put to sleep as he was struggling to drink. Out of the 2 we have left one of them has a slightly deformed leg, we are hoping this will improve with age, the other is fine. Otherwise they are both very bouncy, full of life and happy little lambs!
I have my fingers crossed that no more are affected for us and everyone on here too. Hopefully you will all enjoy lots of healthy happy lambs like we are!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:44 am »
21 February 2012 – Schmallenberg virus: further update on GB testing results

DEFRA/AHVLA
"Schmallenberg virus (SBV) has now been identified in samples submitted from 58 farms across the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Kent, East Sussex, West Sussex, Hertfordshire, Surrey, Hampshire, Cornwall and Wiltshire.
Due to the increase in reports of SBV identified in France, the areas at comparatively higher risk in the UK have been revised in line with the plume modeling data from the summer which models areas at risk of midge incursion from northern Europe.
These areas include Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire and therefore an increase in risk for South Wales. The timing of the most dense plumes would have been in late October for this south west region.
This is therefore in line with the appearance of deformities in lambs being born now, assuming the highest risk period for lambs is if the mother is infected at approximately one month into gestation. The majority of the GB cases of SBV infection have been diagnosed in sheep to date.
Figures correct as of 21 February 2012
See totals at DEFRA/AHVLA
Flutrackers has a useful map showing infection areas of Europe.

from http://warmwell.com/schmallenbergall.html

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »
In a way this is good news for us because our ewes go to tup in late July so they are probably a lot further on gestation wise before being infected, if they have been exposed they should now have some immunity but will that pass onto the lambs or could they get infected when they go to ram?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:17 pm »
I believe the thinking is that ewes should go to the ram later than usual ie more like december  to gain maximum immunity and also hopefully when midges are not flying.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 07:50:47 am »
Hi

just thought it would be usefull for everyone to see this thread on another forum I visit.

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=73113.

looks like its still doing the rounds. If its hitting cattle its going to be hitting sheep as well. Not a problem now unless you have just tupped your ewes. could be good if they get it now and have imunity before most of us put our tups to the ewes in the next month or two.

food for thought!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 08:40:46 am »
Well we had a good dose of this earlier this year, so i'm rather hoping all my girls are now bitten and self vaccinated but wont really know until we start lambing. I think it's going to be more of an issue for farmers up country this year, although i've seen in the Farmers Guardian talk of a vaccine soon.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 09:55:49 am »
OK so it's definitely circulating the SW then.

I tried to comment on one post over there but apparently my account, though activated, is still waiting in a moderation queue - since 26th August!  ::)

There's a dairy farmer saying "annoying as it will be a few dead calves won't be the end of the world" - I presume the disease can cause the same deformities in cattle foestuses as they do in sheep?  And presumeably that would mean caesarians? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 10:06:05 am »
And there was me just about to Crovect my girls as the midges are annoying them like mad.  I'm wondering whether I should hold off a few weeks now and let them get bitten.  Crovecting at tupping isn't good for the ram though is it?
(South Wales)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 11:37:04 am »
Crovecting at tupping isn't good for the ram though is it?

Blimey, you don't want him getting it on the end of his wizzle, that's for sure!  :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 11:39:16 am »
Right yes, indeed!!  They will have to stay Crovect-less then until after tupping.  (I only use it for lice prevention usually anyway).

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 11:56:15 am »
My lot have all been tupped bar one shearling, so i'm also hoping the sheep have exposed themselves and been self vaccinated....
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 11:57:51 am »
Oops! just read that back and mean hope the sheep have been exposed! what a mental image of ewes exposing themselves!!  :o
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 01:41:37 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D  Just what kind of sheep are breeding Hazelwood!  brazen husseys? I'm hoping all my girls are exposing themselves or i'm in for a very quiet winter, though judging by the raddle marks my boys have been working hard

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 03:05:51 pm »
I notice that there is a case reported in Leicestershire - so its coming northwards, and still a few weeks of midgy season to go.  I wonder if we should delay tupping this year?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS