Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Socks - finally finished  (Read 5173 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Socks - finally finished
« on: January 19, 2012, 11:57:24 am »
I had all sorts of problems with my first pair of socks. They have taken me a long to time mainly because I wasn't holding the needles correctly and kept stabbing myself. 

Once I got more comfortable with 4 needles I found that it became easier.  This is the result.

I think they look quite snazzy.

Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Socks - finally finished
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:34:13 pm »
Congratulations  :) They look great. At present I am in the process of knitting a pair for OH, finished one sock the other night so now to try and match a second one.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »
Oh, they look great, Sally - well done  :thumbsup: :trophy:

Having told you I had no problems with the pointy pins, I managed to slam my hand down, hard, onto a sticking-up one... ouch.  They are surprisingly sharp... I am a lot more careful with them now!  (And still can't use a scoop normally - but it is getting better  ::))

BH is so impressed with the first correctly fitting long sock I made for him, he said he didn't just want its pair, he wanted another 20 like it!   ;D  We'll see how the first pair wear, though, first - they take about 200g per pair, the weight and length he likes them, that's a lot of knitting if they don't wear very well!

(Plus I would like a pair - or two... - for myself before he gets another...  ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:11:14 pm »
I would definitely be interested to know how well they wear.

I'm not sure I will be wearing mine.  After all the problems I had I think it might be more appropriate to frame them  ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:15:11 pm »
I'm not sure I will be wearing mine.  After all the problems I had I think it might be more appropriate to frame them  ;D ;D
Made me laugh!  Frame the picture and wear them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:22:19 pm »
Snazzy indeed  :) :thumbsup:  I love that type of yarn - I even dye my own to look that way.

You must wear them after all that work - they look great.

sallyintnorth - when you put your work down, group all the needles parallel to eachother so they all lie flat, making sure the stitches don't slip too close to the ends.  That stab must have been painful, but at least you didn't sit on it, esp with those chilblains  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:34:31 pm »
That stab must have been painful, but at least you didn't sit on it, esp with those chilblains  ;D
Oooooh, that's an evil thought!   :o

sallyintnorth - when you put your work down, group all the needles parallel to eachother so they all lie flat, making sure the stitches don't slip too close to the ends. 
Ay, I do do that.  I can't quite think how I did what I did, but I was knitting and chatting at the time.  I think I must have taken my hand off the knitting to gesticulate, slamming the hand as emphasis, I think, and one of my pins just happened to be pointing upwards.  So I am trying to maintain my awareness of my pins better when I am knitting!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:45:36 pm »
I knew there was other reasons for using big needles, they are not sharp :thumbsup:

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »
THey are pretty socks, we have to make sure our dogs do not get our thick socks as they love them as all dogs do.....I wonder if others have the problem of socks being eaten by thier shoes? mine end up rolling further down my shoe as I walk.......then there is the too tight sock that I cannot get on and the too loose sock that ends up like dopey out of the seven dwarfs, anyway, yours are very pretty socks so do not loose one in the washer...the evil washing machine lives off socks!!! ;) ;)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 06:18:26 pm »
Lovely socks Sally  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 10:48:37 pm »
Well done, Sally.  Worth waiting for.

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 10:49:24 pm »
Only just seen you snazzy socks Sally, well done they look fab, clever you.  :thumbsup: Hope your hand is better too SallyintNorth. :bouquet:

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 11:14:55 am »

.. wear them as indoor socks and when you put your feet up in the evening --just sit back and admire them!
Well done Bionic, I can`t even manage two knitting needles never mind FOUR !! :-\ ;)

Tilly  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS