Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meishans  (Read 28271 times)

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Meishans
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2012, 03:02:28 pm »
To be honest Robert, i haven't thought that far ahead, it is scary i think. I don't want to create problems in the future with these pigs. I am going to take it one step at a time and just see how things go. Yes i am on the west coast. If ever you hold a suitable course for lard, fat etc. I would love to go on it or curing meat, that would be brilliant. I do want to experiment with the meat and fat etc. But I need guidance. As I say if you can point me in the right direction i would be very interested. And if you are interested, would love to put a couple on the Highland stand. next year.

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2012, 03:56:51 pm »
To add to the above, what I would like with this first two litters is to somehow tie the meishans in with a butchery course suitable for their carcass and the qualities the carcass brings. I am still researching about their meat, but so far I have heard nothing but good things and how versitile it is. I am playing with ideas at the moment and still doing my research but I would somehow like to bring learning about how best to use their carcass and the meshians together. So many people are interested in charcuterie but up here there are no courses whatsoever, At least I don't think so. I would like to get the meshians involved in somehow promoting this process and using their carcasses to promote it.

robert waddell

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2012, 04:29:22 pm »
Linda you are forgetting you are in Scotland       there is just not the amount of disposable income to blow on courses     short arms and deep pockets     also the cost of the carcase (although you have never mentioned prices )the meat is going to be very expensive way beyond the canny Scots budget
qms were doing charcuterie courses  did Karen down your way not tell you about them all the cooking schools do courses if you can afford them
anybody that is pushing a breed will tell you good things about them :farmer:

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2012, 04:55:25 pm »
No, I know that about scotland :D However I don't envisage these meshians just staying in Scotland, I would expect enquiries and possible sales about them from England as well. So relevent courses would not only be in Scotland, they would be in england as well. Just playing with ideas at the moment, Then again I may not sell any of the first litters in which case I will be drowning in the meat. Its going to be a case of coming up with ideas, discarding them and just talking to relevent people to see if any doors open for the first two litters. I agree cooking courses are stupid money and the majority of smallholders will not or even want to pay that sort of money. Thats why i would like a course for people interested in this sort of thing but affordable. No Karen never mentioned the courses, I presume you mean clash, not happy hippy. I don't really see her though. I will ask her about them next time we speak.

With respect to what you said about people who are selling them are pushing them, a lot information about them has not only come from breeders but universities, and forums just like this one but abroad, and it seems everyone who has a mesihan rates it as excellent meat. But each to their own I suppose. I will do a taster at shows next year, let people make their own judgement. ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »
QMS ran a charcuterie course at the Edinburgh cook school before Xmas, I'd been planning to go but was on crutches following that bad fall (while sober  ;))

As far as I know it was a free course and they are planning to have more.

As well as your lard products - consider soap making  :thumbsup: I tried some made from Mangalitza fat and it was fabby  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2012, 05:33:49 pm »
are you sure it was free karen     its not like them to do free courses :farmer:

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »
karen, will you let me know if you hear of any other courses free or not free please. I am really keen to go.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2012, 05:55:47 pm »
i would think this meat is the sort of thing likely to appeal to high end restaurants and marketed as such would probably be very successful as a high cost niche product. good luck.

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2012, 06:50:08 pm »
Hi Deep. that is what I am keen to do with the first litters I must admit. It is certainly an option to look seriously at. Going through my mind is the possibility that many of the piglets won't be up to standard to sell as breeding stock, so to sell them as meat pigs to smallholders, is a good idea, however after spending well over a thousand  buying them and bringing them over, recouping the money in that case will take me a heck of alot of time. I obviously can't price them at much more than normal traditional pedigree meat pigs, so certainly for some of them I need to look at other options.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:01:33 pm by Rispain »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2012, 07:15:52 pm »
if i had the only source of the meat, i would process it myself to add value, then market it high end, and cut out the middleman, thats a good business model.
selling weaners to other people to raise and process, wouldnt in the first instance recoup YOUR investment, however if you created demand for the meat first,  your next  weaners would be worth much more,let alone breeding stock.
this wouldnt affect trad breed pork sales because its an obviously saturated market, probably because of current import laws.

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2012, 07:28:01 pm »
Thank you deep, I really appreicate your advice and knowledge. Even if I created interested in the next litter, there is only a certain amount of money you can ask for meat pigs surely??

deepinthewoods

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2012, 07:34:36 pm »
that would depend on how much the meat was selling for. and that would depend on how it had been marketed, the meat appears to be something new and something new will always sell. how much for depends on the person your selling to. personally i think the moneys in the meat not the pigs. have you tried talking to a high end chinese restaurant for feedback, i mean really high end not just expensive?

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2012, 08:10:51 pm »
No I haven't done anything yet as I am still researching options and looking at ideas. I will certainly look further into this though.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2012, 08:13:47 pm »
 8)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS