Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: marmalade / chutney books  (Read 5778 times)

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
marmalade / chutney books
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:44:50 pm »
Hi everyone, I am hoping to start making jam, marmalade and chutneys in the new year. Can anyone recommend a good book of recipes. i have got some great ideas from this site, plus a few of my late mums recipes which i am starting with.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: marmalade / chutney books
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:27:52 pm »
Go with your Mum's or others old recipes for chutneys. I guess that they are tried and tested and may be more authentic to the time when the UK had people returning from India with the tastes for chutney.
We made about 4 different types this year and have just had a thick plum base dark spicy chutney with cheese.
Courgette pickle !!!!!!  for the VERY BEST pickle we and visitors have ever had.
Courgettes !! Yep grow about 8 plants ( assuming that you do not have to use metered water on them) so that you have to pick every day and still have enough "missed" marrows to feed to the animals. Collect medium to large fruits then simply slice the courgettes and some onion on a mandolin - salt or soak in brine for 1 hour - wash - leave in the sun to dry ( or if you live in Scotland  dry with a T towel) - then bottle with cider vinegar,sugar,mustard powder, crushed yellow and brown mustard seeds and some turmeric.
I have the full recipe if you need it . All the family love it and everyone is prepared to walk 100 yards to the store if we serve lunch and have run out. Odd as my kids would go without ketchup rather than walk to the fridge to get a bottle! 
 :wave:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 02:16:09 pm »
I use a lot from old war time/ mothers union type books. They are simple and easy to find goods as times were frugal back then, they also contain a lot of recipies that you no longer find. The River Cottage book is also a must.

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:04:55 pm »
hi, thanks for your quick replies and suggestions, going to have a look round some of the book shops and charity shops next week.
Yes please Mak, would love the recipe for courgette pickle as i love them and grew my first courgettes this year so going to do more next year

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:36:03 am »
Sonia Allisons Book of Preserving is fabulous! There are chapters on bottling, chutneys, drying, freezing, fruit cheeses,butters and curds, fruit syrups, jam, jelly, marm, mincemeat, pickling, salting and sauces. Part II of the book is an A to Z of fruits and veg and advises which method would be most suitable and also gives simple no fuss recipes.
Unfortunately it is out of print now but I have found a couple of copies on Amazon, that I have given to friends. Worth looking on other used book websites.
Will be using it shortly again for Seville Marmalade!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:47:56 am »
I have Sonia Allisons book of preserves and agree its very good.  It's my bible when I am making chutneys or jam.  Last year I made orange and rhubarb chutney from it which was very good, but my main standby is plum and apple chutney which has just the right amount of sweetness.

I found a River Cottage book in a charity shop recently so carry on looking.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:04 am »
Just checked Amazon, there are copies available 1p plus £2.80 p&p! well worth it.

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:04 am »
thanks for that info, just ordered it on amazon for 1p plus postage, what a good start to the New Year :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:25 am »
I hope you have lots of jars ready.  Seville oranges are in the shops so you could start with marmalade.  :)
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 09:03:58 am »
The best book I have for preserves is Oded Schwartz Book of Preserving. It makes your mouth water just looking through it. I think it is out of print now and I got mine at a car boot sale for £1 but think you would have to pay a fair bit for one from Amazon or similar but would be worth it.
Mine is so well loved that I have actually had to mention it in my will, leaving it to my elder daughter!!

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 07:57:00 pm »
thanks Sylvia, will keep a look out. Had an email confirming book Sonia Allisons book has been posted. family are collecting jars and i am shopping next week for seville oranges :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 09:06:34 am »
Anyone need jars in my a.rea S. Devon. I have loads that need to be re-homed

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 09:00:25 pm »
Just got mine for £1.78 from Amazon....happy days..
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS