Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Birthday Cake Recipe suggestions please  (Read 3735 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Birthday Cake Recipe suggestions please
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:11:37 am »
My middle son becomes a teenager on Saturday and has asked that I make a home made cake to look exactly like his new skateboard!!!! I'm not entirely useless but this is a little scary.  He doesn't like chocolate cake so I have to make something else tasty but strong enough to hold the icing and doughnut wheels that I intend to put on it.  Does anyone have suggestions?  I was thinking a carrot cake would manage and I'm hoping to make one rectangle cake which will be rounded off at the edges with hald of a round cake - icing over the top (cream cheese?) and then the icing but I have no idea if that will even work.  Help me please, he is having three friends over for dinner and I want it to be really special for him.  Many thanks.

P.S. its also my husbands birthday on the same day but he'll just get what he's given haha
Mel x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Birthday Cake Recipe suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:21 am »
I'm no help at all, mel - frankly in awe of anyone who can do this sort of thing!

I only posted to say that my one and only attempt at a swiss roll did in fact look very like a skateboard...  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:00:39 pm »
If you google 'skateboard birthday cakes' it brings up loads of stuff, good hunting hope all have lovely birthdays, it's my mum's tomorrow, we have seven family birthdays this month, bit ouch on the pocket coming just after Xmas!
mandy  :pig:

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:04:43 pm »
I only posted to say that my one and only attempt at a swiss roll did in fact look very like a skateboard...  ::)

An accidental skateboard is better than no skateboard at all I think.  Seriously thinking about buying in a cake but thats just cheating..... or good sense haha

Thanks Mandy, I did google it and got some ideas but its the cake part itself that I'm struggling with.  It has to be strong enough to hold everything up!  Dagnabbit x

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:14:59 pm »
Mel,
I think a carrot cake would do the job.  I would just suggest that you don't make the skateboard too long or it is likely to collapse in the middle. I love the donut idea for the wheels

Alternatively you could do a madeira as the texture is a bit heavier than an ordinary sponge cake and should hold the shape too.

I am sure your son will love it. Can we see pics once its done?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:29:56 pm »
I'm no help at all, mel - frankly in awe of anyone who can do this sort of thing!

Again no help or suggestions - just to say that SallyintNorth's comment made me laugh out loud so my OH gave me a sidelong very quizzical look  ;D ;D
 :thumbsup:

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 08:25:50 pm »
Yes Sally you made me chuckle too.  :thumbsup: As Bionic say's a carrot cake or maderia would be fine or even just a Victoria Cake mixture. Have a go I'm sure the lads will love it whatever ,if not they will have a good chuckle as well. look forward to seeing the pics  :wave: Good luck i'm sure it will be fine

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 08:51:59 pm »
I have made the madeira cake portion of the cake and plan to make the carrot cake portion tomorrow then on Saturday the carving and covering will occur - nervous a little but I'm sure they'll like it and it'll be eaten regardless x

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:19:52 pm »
Mmm sounds lush ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS