Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Henry's halter training  (Read 5273 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Henry's halter training
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:10:57 pm »
Henry is our Shetland bullock. As he's destined for the freezer, I wouldn't have named him but he came with the moniker. He was very good to transport down from Aberdeen, but because he's been outside all the time (unlike our two heifers who were inside for six months after we got them), he hasn't had much handling. Almost none in fact.

But we did need to worm and fluke the three of them. The flukicide was easy - in some Buttercup calf crunch and that was that. They didn't fancy the wormer though. Blizzard ate hers but Breeze wouldn't and Henry won't even eat undoctored food. So, what to do? We have a Heath Robinson "crush" in the byre but Dan said it was time he was halter trained anyway  ::)

Breeze was wormed by haltering her and squirting the wormer over her throat. Same for Henry, but we had to get a halter on him first. The heifers looked on and moo'd encouragingly as Dan held Henry by his little horns and I slipped the halter on. We tied him up for 10 minutes, gave him a good scratch, gave him the wormer and fed him some hay, which he munched quite happily. Then we untied him and I walked him (not very tidily to be fair) around the pen.

Not bad for a first attempt, we thought. He's a wee star - we'll have to keep practicing now, if he hasn't taken the huff completely.

Henry's halter training

HappyHippy

Re: Henry's halter training
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:45:35 am »
He's a looker  ;) ;D
I was expecting bucking bronco antics Rosemary  :o He looks like he's getting the hang of it and enjoying the scratching & encouragement  ;)
I think you're probably braver than me  ::) ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:44:44 am »
Looking good!  What a sweetie!  Did you use 'pressure and release'?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:20:46 am »
Looking good!  What a sweetie!  Did you use 'pressure and release'?

Yes - although it was a much speeded up process than with the heifers. I spent hours with them  ::)

Henry had them to see though so maybe that helped. I was trying to maintain pressure on the halter but as soon as he "gave", I released it as a reward.

The proof of the pudding will be how he is today. He might just watch me from the other side of the field.  ;D

Lesson learned though - Breeze and Blizzard's calves will be on halters the first week.

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:44:24 pm »
Henry really is a grand lad, you did amazingly well with him. Loved the girls watching on.  :thumbsup:

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:08:51 pm »
Why can't I see the photo?
Karen

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:04 pm »
Why can't I see the photo?
It's not a photo, it's a video. If you're internet browser doesn't have a flash player (or similar) you won't be able to view it. I think....but Dan's bound to know more than me  ;)

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:23:50 pm »
but Dan's bound to know more than me  ;)

Nope, you're spot on.  ;D

Chicken Lady, if you can't see it but can usually see YouTube videos please try viewing it on YouTube here:

Henry's halter training

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:34:30 am »
ahh hes nice. looks very gud for his first time. my heifers were quite feisty at first, trying to dodge the feet and horns when ur brain is trained for ponies was a learning experience! where did u get him from?
 :wave: :wave:

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:33:13 pm »
Thanks Dan. Got it now. I should have started earlier with my highlands. Only 3 out of 5 have ever had a halter on.
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:21:01 pm »
ahh hes nice. looks very gud for his first time. my heifers were quite feisty at first, trying to dodge the feet and horns when ur brain is trained for ponies was a learning experience! where did u get him from?
 :wave: :wave:

He's lovely - we bought him from Paddy Zakaria. I think he's by Gillarunna Nocturne. Until this week, I could barely get a hand on him but he's grand now. Will try the halter again tomorrow.

Chicken Lady - Breeze and Blizzard's calves will be halter trained from birth  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS