Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: traumatic experience - need to share  (Read 6463 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: traumatic experience - need to share
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 12:46:38 pm »
Shep, I've only just seen this.   :bouquet: to you for having to go through such a traumatic experience.  And  :bouquet: again for taking the time and trouble to get the sheep sorted.

I have to believe that the owner was unaware of what the dog had done - maybe, like one of the posters on here, didn't know there were sheep on the moor, dog wasn't about for a bit and then was... sounds like there would have been blood on the dog, but what could you do?  It's a big moor to go searching...   So I do hope the owner didn't know about this specific sheep and hopefully will have learned a lesson from the state of the dog on its return.

Plantoid's story is horrific but not terribly uncommon.  A vet friend of mine always says, "One's a pet, two's a pack."  They'll get up to things together neither would on their own.  A policeman in a sheep-farming area once, many years ago, told me that the majority of sheep attacks were carried out by farmers' dogs.  They do things to sheep when their owner isn't about, he said...  These days, I think, traffic is so much more dangerous that most dogs, farm or otherwise, are safely contained most of the time and rarely wandering unattended.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »
And people wonder why farmers are against this 'free to roam' policy.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 09:24:17 pm »
Thank you everyone for your supportive comments  :bouquet: Unfortunately by the wounds (won't go into details) the dog was missing for a while  - not just popped off and then back to the owner. Or may be the dog was a stray?  It was a big dog anyway, and yes would have had blood on it.  We'll probably never know the whole story  >:(
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 06:23:40 pm »
I have had dog owners tell me that their dog means no harm only playing with my pregnant mares when I was breeding the ponies. Hence electric fencing everywhere.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 12:22:20 am »
Like the dog owner telling me his dog didn't mean any harm after it bit my son.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS