Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: traumatic experience - need to share  (Read 6468 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
traumatic experience - need to share
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:46:06 pm »
I've not had the best day and need to share it with like minded people who will understand!  I took the young setter out today for a walk across Ilkley moor for a bit of on lead training sitting to the flush of grouse.  This as you can imagine is a tourist spot with lots of walkers mountain bikers, rock climbers etc more so because it was lovely weather. anyway my training involved wandering off path through the heather and we came across a swaledale sheep lying down which didn't get up as we got closer.  That seemed strange so I took a closer look  - it was obvious that it had been attacked by a dog or dogs.  Great gaping wounds on neck behind front leg and on the rump.  Great lumps of flesh had been removed and you could see to its ribcage and hind leg bone.  Yet it was still alive and trying to eat!  FIrst reaction was to put it out of it's misery  - but I had no means of doing that, and besides it wasn't my sheep. So walked back to the car wondering what to do, and to cut a long story short I went to the police station whi knoew who the farmer was rang him and we met.  It took an hour to take them to where the sheep was, carry it to the landrover which somehow he got across the rough  terrain to within 1/4 mile of the sheep and back down to the road.  Sheep was still alive when they dropped me back off at the car. I can't imagine it surviving but at least we tried.  Someone somewhere must know their dog (s) did that!  How could they just leave to to die??? I'm just so cross, sad and shocked all at the same time not sure how I'll sleep tonight.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: traumatic experience - need to share
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:53:21 pm »
Oh god that's horrible.
But you did what you could, and even if the farmer had to put it down, it would be quicker and kinder than waiting to  die up there  :bouquet:

I have to believe that the dog owner didn't see what happened...because the alternative is that someone *watched* that poor thing get torn apart - and THAT I can't even comprehend. Or the dog owner panicked and fled. Cowardly and wrong, but I can at least understand the thought process. But then, if you own a dog you supposedly care for animals so....  ???  ???

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:55:38 pm »
Well you did what you could - and it was well done. who knows how long the sheep would've suffered if you hadn't found it?

I wish I could say I'm surprised that someone would let their dogs do that and just leave the sheep but I'm not; they probably just ran away fast before anyone could come after them for money.  >:(

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:08:30 pm »
So glad you were there Shep and did the right thing  my sheep are all close by but if they weren't I'd want you around  :bouquet: :bouquet:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:16:04 pm »
I'm sorry you had to come across this but very glad for the sheep that you did - and well done for doing the right thing {{{hugs}}}

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »
Thank goodness you found it before the scavengers did. Adrenalin is an amazing thing but is only a short term shock process. It must have only happened.Ilkley Moor is so busy that I cannot believe sheep are actually kept on there. I thought it was just like a public park type of moor with the amount of tourists and walkers on it. I would report your experience to the Telegraph and Argus there. Hopefully it may make folk think Bah T'at or bah Brain (sp)

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 09:21:46 pm »
THe farmer was fortunate you came across the sheep. I bet it was not the first either.....poor sheep!!!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:31:25 pm »
Thanks everyone!  No it wasn't the first sheep they'd had worried by any means but first for a year or so.  What surprised me was the extent of the wounds which would have taken time to inflict.  I wonder now if it was a stray dog - I sincerely hope not for the rest of those sheep on the moor. :(  I am a dog lover through and through but all of them they are a hair's breadth away from being ferocious predator.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:15:29 pm »
Even if the dog owner was scared their dog would be put down, they could have rung the police and said they'd found the sheep so it could be looked after sooner.  Very irresponsible.  Don't know how anyone could be like that.  I have a dog who chases sheep.  I just don't have her off the lead where sheep are about.

Thank goodness you got there, Shep, and made sure the poor creature would be looked after.  :bouquet:

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 10:20:24 pm »
A truly shocking experience for you, but you did the right thing as others have said. Hope you sleep well and rest easy with with the thought you did your best there was nothing else you could have done and you  have surely saved the sheep from a miserable death, whatever the outcome know.  :thumbsup:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 10:21:44 pm »
 Thanks for taking the time & effort to get it sorted..

I'm surprised that the farmer didn't  take a shotgun with him to put it out of it's misery and also to despatch any dogs he saw  after his sheep , as I think it is still legal to shoot worring dogs on sight.  Unless of course he's not got a shotgun .

I for one if at all possible would have put it out of its misery with a carving knife or farm implement etc right through it's heart rather than put it through any more stress lijke trying to drag it back to a vehicle 1/4 mile away .

Just as an aside  ....

Ron .. the farmer who my dad worked for in the 1950's  had a brilliant gundog ... a yellow lab dog called Monty .
Two miles away Ray another farmer has a massive GSD used for sheep & cattle ( before hip dysplasia probs came along ) called Sugar .

One Sunday  morning  Ron and Ray came to our house and asked for dad to go with them and bring  his muck fork & the razor sharp hedge slasher .

Off they went in Ron's Austin Seven to a farm about  five miles away .  They came back a couple of hours later  with the two dead dogs ,  three shredded sheep and grey grim set faces.

Apparently  the dogs had killed six sheep and were  going for broke on the rest of Mr Robertsons flock of pregnant ewes  . So Mr Robertson  ran home got his gun and some local farm hands with their guns and went and stopped the slaughter by shooting the dogs.

When the police rang Ron to tell him his dog had been shot worrying sheep Ron said don't be silly he's here in the kitchen and called him .....but no dog came.

The collars on the dogs had been given to the police and the culprits owners traced from them .
 We got to have one of the sheep for eating , so did Ron & Ray ..

Who'd have thought that the farmers dogs who were used to all manner of live stock would go on the rampage elsewhere ?

Ron paid  the costs of the dead sheep , those that had to be shot  and  compensation  for  the abortions that followed the attacks .

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 10:35:40 pm »
Plantoid that is indeed a shocking story!  I wonder what tips the balance for previously lovely pet dogs?

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 10:52:57 pm »
I'd say suppressed inherited traits coming to the fore.
Maybe they got a wiff of a bitch on heat onn the wind and went to find her . They swam across two rivers to get to the sheep .( It would have taken them 14 miles over of cross country not to have ).

So perhaps thought's the joy's of spring changed into two uncut male dog's trying to outdo each other like they do in a pack once they came across the flock .

Our golden retriever  / sheep dog cross is quite placid he's quite big , weighs in at 33 kg and still looks under weight ... he's been nutted .

Yet when he sees certain other dog he's an absolute monster  ... he's socialized and often goes out with the family and friends who have their dogs , but two little yappers and the mutt next door seem to fire him for some reason.

We never let him off the lead outside the well secure fenced gardens unless we are down on an empty beach or  hillside free of any stock .
He happily walks to heel and comes back when called by voice or whistle , but any percieved threat to his pack ( us ) and he's raring to go .
Which is a bit disconcerting for he's often totally trashed an XXX sized x  KONG Extreme  hard rubber heavy duty  chew cone within two hours of getting one..
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:38:38 am »
Oh Shep, that's really horrible for you (and the sheep obviously) but it must have been a shock to find that  :(  You really did all you could - the farmer is lucky it was you and not someone who didn't act upon their findings.
We've had several dog attacks lately that have killed sheep and goats and due to ' potential repurcussions' locals are afraid to act and the police have even suggested that they don't!! how scary (and bad) is that?!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 09:57:47 am »
Well done, Shep, for dealing with what must have been a horrible thing.  :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS