Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what are best chucks for eating & laying  (Read 5954 times)

kyle

• Joined Mar 2009
what are best chucks for eating & laying
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:48:54 pm »
hello new here just wondering if any one could tell me whats the best chucks are for laying and which are the best for eating? thanks

lindy

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: what are best chucks for eating & laying
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:49:36 am »
Can only give the briefest of answers here but, for good layers any of the commercial hybrids such as warrens, black rocks, Lohman Browns. If you want pure breed layers Light Sussex or Rhode Island Red are good but you have to seek out and buy from someone who breeds especially for egg production(not to show).
Practical Poultry magazine has a list of some of these utility breeders.
For eating Sasso or Cobb Ross.
Probably the best thing to do is find a good local poultry supplier and find out what they offer.
Also invest in a good poultry book so you can get more detailed info about this subject.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:25:21 pm »
Hello Kyle.
A duel purpose breed and then it has to be Utility bred not show bred.
All the Large Fowl breeds..heavy..will make table birds but it will take about 28/30 weeks for the cockerels to get any weight on..They will be crowing by then so if that's a problem with noise get a commercial table breed which you kill at around 4 months..
If noise is not an issue get Australorps...

www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk for photographs and blog on keeping poultry,including table bird production.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:08:58 pm »
I'd reiterate what's gone before - commercial hybrids for laying and commercial meat birds for meat. We have Hubbards for meat.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 07:01:49 pm »
See the posting ONE FOR THE POT some suggestions there.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 05:34:45 pm »
I had Bovans Goldlines and they started laying the day after I got them.  They didnt even pause for the winter.  We had one per day per chook.  This time, I have Rhode Island Reds crossed with Black Rocks.  They've only just started laying this week (I think they were younger than they told me when I bought them) but we've had one each day for the last four days from the two of them. :chook:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:00:09 am »
Ours are mostly marans and brahmas, kept for their looks and character as much as for their eggs.  For the pot we have always bought from the market, this year we are going to try crossing a couple of the market hens with the brahma cockerels keeping any males for the pot.  (Well that is the plan)  However the ones we bought for the pot this year are getting far too friendly.  Not going to be easy

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:40:01 pm »
dont know about the best breed but i can tell you we got a Flavour Wave work top oven off the shopping channel and we do all our poultry in it it  really does make a difference..... apparently theres a new  or different model out now....look for them on ebay or the shopping channel, you need the extender ring,harry

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:42:19 pm »
Harry how does it work that it makes the chicken taste better?  (Have never heard of it but dont have tele so cant look on shopping channel)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:50 pm »
i have no idea how it works i grow feed kill and pluck them my wife cooks them but you just plonk it in turn it on then when its done it is really nice, its moist and just nice......we never cook whole chicken in the ordinary oven anymore, only a big turkey at xmas. we also take it on our motorhome holidays, and its easy to clean... they are available elsewhere not just on tv..... even on ebay..... if my wife knows more i will ask her....have a look on www.bestdirect.tv/Nu-Wave you need the extendor ring, i put  flavor wave in jeeves and theres loads of info on there.........harry
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:48:09 pm by harry »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 08:38:47 am »
Thanks I am going to investigate further.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 10:52:01 am »
The Naked neck birds are great for both.  They are heavy breasted and lay huge eggs!

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS