Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Checklist  (Read 2953 times)

paulrollings

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Hanney, Oxfordshire
Checklist
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:10:48 am »

Hi everyone, really sorry for daft question.  I started to keep sheep last year, bought five Southdowns shearling ewes back in September, in November I put a ram in with the girls.  I check them every day but to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for or doing.  I assume if there was anything wrong it would be fairly obvious?!

I wonder if anyone has a check list of what I should be doing / looking for each week/month?  Since picking them up in September I haven't done anything other than check their feet and teeth and had a feel through their fleeces.   I have the 5 ewes and 1 ram in about an acre.  The grass was looking a bit bare and so have been supplementing with hay and some badminton sheep mix but otherwise I haven't done anything else.

Any pointers to a weekly/monthly check-lists would be great

Thanks

Paul

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Checklist
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:25:31 am »
Get Tim Tyne's book "The Sheep Book for Smallholders" - it's the only sheep book you'll ever need and a good read too.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:46:44 pm by Dan »

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »
Seconded  :thumbsup:

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:41:47 pm »
Thirded.....and maybe book yourself on a sheepkeeping lambing course?
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:06:08 pm »
Getting on to a lambing  course would be great - but I guess that depends on where you live - I booked on on in Aberdeenshire - cancelled and not happened since!!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:07:47 pm »
Yes get a good book.  You'll be lambing in April so if you can find somewhere to get a bit of hands on experience in Feb  / March that would be a good plan.  Whereabouts are you?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:52:29 pm »
Hi Paul

i agree with the pervious posts, get the book... also making friends with another sheep keeper nearby would by sensible for on the doorstep help and advice.

I am one of the lucky people that has managed to get on the lambing course run by Tom and Dot Vine.

Although i do have some experience in resusitating new born lambs, my OH and my friend Sally have so far 'spared' me the actual helping a ewe in difficulties..

Our little flock has grown from 6 breeding ewes to  - 16 and then 30 over the last 2 years.  We  also help with my friends flock while she is at work and she helps with ours when we at at work.

so therefore i felt i needed a course to give me the confidence to intervene if necessary.

I am so looking forward to it  ;D

good luck with your girls

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:27:42 pm »
Register with a vet! Also depending on your land 1 acre won't be enough I've 12 sheep on 6 acres and struggle through Winter.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 09:27:13 am »
Agree with all the above, and definitely go on a lambing course.  It was so useful to me and my OH. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS