Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Willow Weaving  (Read 4935 times)

Mel

Willow Weaving
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:33:17 pm »
Hi,
I grow willow like it has gone out of fashion,I would like advice regards making willow baskets and such,last time I done this-I was in Hospital using some other material.-and I was only 12-that is an age ago hehe!

Mel x

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Willow Weaving
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:01:54 pm »
Is it the right sort of Willow Mel? I mention it because we pollarded a load from the canal bank to make hurdles and discovered that you can't do anything with 'crack' Willow as it just snaps.

Mel

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:51 pm »
Hi Chris,I have many different varieties at the moment,hopefully someone can advise which would be the best to use?!
Melx

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:29:11 pm »
Hi Mel - not much good at formal ID, but if you can bend it around your wrist without it cracking (this goes for other hedgrow finds too) you can use it (after letting it 'rest' under a hedgrow for a couple or 3 weeks after cutting).  If it does crack, it'll still be great for living willow stuff (fedges, domes etc).  Dont know if you youve got any guidance, but courses aside ( I have learnt so much on odd days with Blithfield Willow Crafts) I love 'Handmade baskets from natures colourful materials' by Susue Vaughan.  Thanks for reminfding me that these dormant days are precious and I need to get out there and cut!!!

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:23:08 pm »
Re the pollarded  willow ... try tying up a bundle up and submerging it in a stream/ tank of water for a week or more and see if they  are still brittle. If they are soft/ supple enough to work get weaving.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51:48 pm »
I made baskets in hospital too when I was 17...would love to make willow ones, apparently my uncle used to make willow lobster pots......my brother wants to do that too as he has a willow he can use...love to see some finnished items!!!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:42:16 am »
I have planted a small plantation of 50 Salix viminalis willow to make hurdles and will be planting another 100 willow sticks next week - coloured varieties for basket weaving.... not sure what variety - but variety is very important when it comes to suitable weaving willow. Most bankside willows are not suitable for weaving but FIB's suggestion is good.

It needs to be thoroughly dried first (1 -2 months) to get rid of the sap and allow the willow sticks to shrink. If you try to make baskets/hurdles without letting it dry then the sticks will shrink after you have made your product and it'll get all loose and fall apart.

When you want to use the willow you need to soak it for 5 - 7 days to get it pliant. Then you need to keep the sticks damp whilst you are working with them - just wrapped up in a tarpaulin is fine.

We are very lucky to have our own stream to so i intend to just leave them in the stream for a week. This summer I plan to make a little collecting pool where they can go.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS