Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Two Pea-hens for sale, Stirlingshire  (Read 8505 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Two Pea-hens for sale, Stirlingshire
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:43:19 pm »

Hi, I have two Indian Blue peahens for sale - last Summer's hatch (here's one with Mum, from the year before):

Their Dad's a real stunner too!

Anyhow, they're ready to go to new homes anytime now, asking price one sack of peanuts for each, to cover rearing costs only.

What you need to know: 

If you've never kept peafowl before, you need to know that they DO need space (either free range, with no near neighbours, or in a large aviary). They will largely look after themselves - ours get a cup of peanuts once a day, plus whatever grain they can steal from the hens, and are very happy. They like to roost high up, either on the house roof or in their favourite tree, though sometimes they sleep on the barn rafters when the weather is really foul.

Oh, and the noise?  Well, yes!  ;D  I personally really love the sound they make - kindof like a "HONK, EEEAARGH!!", which never ceases to crack me up. They're nearly silent for most of the year, but from spring to summer, when the gents are marking out their territories, they do make a lot of noise, day and night - you have been warned!!

That said, they're lovely birds to have around, and really add to the feel of the place - I'd be gutted if we ever had to get rid of ours. They also lay a fair number of bigger-than-hens eggs in Spring-Summer, which can of course be eaten if you don't intend to hatch them.

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Thanks,

Womble.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Two Pea-hens for sale, Stirlingshire
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »
Are they well behaved with dogs? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:56:24 pm »

These two won't ever have seen a dog Annie, but there used to be two dogs here before we moved in, and I'm not aware of any problems. It'd be a brave dog who messed with a broody peahen though - talk about feisty!!  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:54 am »
That's what I meant, David.  don't think mine would take one on.  We once had a youngster we bred that had a bad heart - kept her for that reason - we took her with us to training on a fishery estate where they had about 20 peacocks/hens.  She flew out of the car right into the middle of the chaps drive where they were all milling around and shifted them all onto the roof of his house.  We couldn't stop laughing - a wee squirt like that! She almost had a heart attack that day, and I don't think Roy was too pleased.  But they all came back down to feed when we put her back in the car.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 09:49:58 am »
hey womble...

how much do you want for your pea hens...
we got lots of room here...
and i am in north east fife... so if you was coming this way say for a freezer!!.. we could meet up
 that is of course if they are still available

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:05:38 am »
Hiya,

Yes, if you want them, then I'm sure we could sort something out - I'd say your place would be ideal as long as you've considered the noise. They'd be best paired with an indian blue male of about a year older, which together would give you a l lovely trio.

One important requirement would be for a temporary barn or aviary type arrangement (preferably with a good view to outside) where you could keep them confined for about the first month until they learned their surroundings properly. This is important to stop them from going AWOL once released!!

I'm asking for a sack of peanuts in return for each of them (i.e. about £45, or £80 for the pair incl delivery ;)). From looking about on the internet, that's less than what others are asking, but I really only want to cover the costs of rearing.

Do have a read round (e.g. try this link) to make sure you're well aware of what you might be letting yourself in for, and give me a shout if you're still interested, and we can take it from there.

Thanks!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:26:19 pm »
 :love: :love: :love: I just love them, but my hubby would leave me on account of the noise, he only just tolerates the cockerel & the door banging horses...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:52:50 pm »
You're welcome to meet up at mine, unload the peahens and load up a fridgefreezer since d1p knows where I am now and I've love a look ;D 

Actually I'd love peahens (and a peacock) but I'm too close to the road I reckon and having just removed cockerel singing I'd have shocked neighbours if I replaced him with that noise - one of my mum's friends had them and they were gorgeous but oh my they never stop ;D

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 01:08:48 pm »
Have read up on them..
and yes they are sounding like a great idea...
However They would have to live outside  my window and I have not fully convinced myself that i want to live with the racket 24/7..
I am still toying wi idea

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 11:10:26 pm »

Fair enough - you toy away!  ;D

I wish I could invite you here to listen to the noise, but frankly there isn't any at the moment, as it's really only in Spring and Summer, except sometimes as an alarm call if something startles them. Yes they do call at all times of the day, but at night it's only really if they hear a noise. For instance our two males sound as though they're shouting "A Car!, A Car!" to each other in response to passing traffic!  ;D.

The sounds at the start of this clip are typical of their mating calls (both male and female can make this noise):

Call of the Peacock

However, they also make various honks, clucks and clicks - I think the ones in this clip are probably young males just at the 'party hooter' stage of learning to call.  Now, obviously some folks hate the sound, but I'm afraid I love it - really makes me smile  :)

peacock squawk

Anyhow, no pressure - better that you're informed and make the right choice, rather than rushing into anything.

Womble.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:38:33 pm »
love it, big grin time!1 ;D ;D

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 03:05:46 pm »
Lovely sound far better than the 3 cockerill we have!!
Would love to have some but to far away
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 04:22:59 pm »
whe have a peahen she was raised with some chickens. so naturally she thinks shes a hen. shes two never made much noise and rarely wanders. scared one of our neighbours as she went visiting and he had never seen a peahen before.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 09:37:55 pm »
Brilliant!  Our two 'chicks' definitely know they're pea-hens, unlike our left over turkey, who definitely thinks she's a chicken.

Do you want another couple to keep yours company Rbarlo?  ;)

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 10:19:30 pm »
very kind of you to offer. sadly no. she was one of three eggs off ebay. may try again for a male. but they really are dead easy to keep. the boys tend to be the troulble so a dead easy start for someone. And at what your asking very reasonable. i think we payed 10 quid for the eggs and  we got them cheap. just one warning they do like to peck so watch your fingers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS