Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Case International XL 695  (Read 7033 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Case International XL 695
« on: January 01, 2012, 02:12:05 pm »
We have a 1991 Case 695 XL tractor. It has been an absolute workhorse for the last 4 years and we never had any issues.
Unfortunately today we were heading off for a New Year's Day tractor run meet at Poldark Mine outside Helston and on the way there the tractor was decidedly underpowered - so much so that as we were going up a long incline it just got weaker and weaker - even changing down didn't make any difference  :(
There isn't any coughing or spluttering - in neutral at high revs it sounds like it is just wavering, and a bit 'breathy'
Oil, water and hydraulic fluid ok - temperature ok
We had to abandon our proposed jolly and came back home  :(
Any clues??
Thanks
Tish

robert waddell

Re: Case International XL 695
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »
filters either fuel or air        depends on type of injection pump there is a very fine filter on the inlet pipe as it goes to the pump there could also be sludge in the fuel tank there should be a filter in there as well
disconnect the air filter first then start the fuel checks from the tank back to the injection pump   water in the fuel can have the same effect :farmer:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:32:42 pm »
Thanks Robert - will get the OH to give all that a go... I will be the one looking on and making helpful supportive comments  ;D ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 02:38:09 pm »
if it has a lift pump for fuel it also has a filter and could be a  :farmer: knackered diaphragm  :farmer:

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:36:31 am »
I had a similar experience not long ago whilst topping one of the paddocks, all of a sudden the power just died off like yours changing gear did nothing to help, after doing some research on the web and checking all the things that Robert has suggested to you i went for the injectors or maybe fuel pump, i have treated the diesel with injector cleaner as i thought this would be the easiest thing to do first, I've run about 20 litres through it up to now and it has certainly improved I've just put another 20litres of diesel in complete with cleaner so hopefully it will do the job.

PS mine is a 1974 International 475

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:44:02 am »
it is best doing the simple checks first  rather than spending a whole shed load of money on sod all
injectors when they go it will missfire and smoke    injector pumps usually fail  and do not work   additives can work but clean diesel works best   it may look clean but sediment and dirt settle in the bottom of cans :farmer:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:24:28 pm »
Siunds like glazed bores to me.

I got a 695 L and they need a good hammering now and then to get the glaze out of the bores.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 02:37:15 pm »
Could be any of the above, and could also be a small air leak. Try checking around the filter housings as they're a favourite but my money is with Robert on a blocked or sludged filter!

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:25:43 pm »
We had a morning tending to 'Terry' - as in Terry the tractor, we also have Dave the digger and Martin the mower....! - and, drained the fuel and changed the fuel filters, gave the air filter a good blowout and changed the oil plus filter. We then made sure all the air was out of the system and now the engine sounds like it is back to its normal self :o)
Haven't actually given it a test run as our field is so waterlogged we don't want to churn it up too much.

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions  :wave: :wave:
Tish

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS