Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Happy Christmas to all, but pls may I ask for some help?  (Read 6698 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Happy Christmas to all, but pls may I ask for some help?
« on: December 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »
hi all, Ive not been on here for a while as been so busy with my flooring company before christmas! this morning I noticed one of my ewes has some scabs on her face is it Orf ? please could you all have a look to confirm or advise ?  many thanks very much appreciated

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Happy Christmas to all, but pls may I ask for some help?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 05:37:32 pm »
First glance, from a non-expert, I'd say yes it looks like it  :-[

Though could be plant poisoning/reaction to something... how is she in herself? Any other symptoms?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 05:48:07 pm »
she seems fine, if it is orf, I was just reading that it will cure itself after a week is that correct ? and they say just spray with antibiotic spray ?

andy advice is appreciated

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 06:11:39 pm »
Sometimes it's no big deal and clears up by itself, sometimes it becomes sore, awful and infected. It can infect you too, so careful.

If it gets bad, wash her face with Daz (no idea why but it has to be biological Daz and nothing else apparently) and then spray with iodine. Repeat daily. Wash your own hands afterwards and don't touch your face (or anywhere else!) before you do.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 06:21:02 pm »
Yes it does look like orf, right time of year for it too. take precautions for yourself as well and watch the rest of the flock. check feet too it can burst out above the hoof wall.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 06:30:23 pm »
looks like im off to the coop to buy some biological daz and thick rubber gloves, there are alot of thistles in the field where they are at the moment but suprised its just one ewe and not any more, thanks for your comments so far and more appreciated

cheers

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 06:44:49 pm »
Yep she's gone orf ;D ;D
Please for the love of the gods make sure you are careful about hand washing.
you are called Andy, so I assume you are a man....
Definitely do not answer natures call until you have scrubbed your hands thoroughly :o :o
Fortunately us ladies are 'hands free' so to speak ;) :sheep: :sheep:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:22:26 pm »
yep i agree it looks like orf.
please  please please wear gloves when handling. my OH caught it from one of our lambs in the spring ::) the lamb only had 2 sores
it was very very painful :'( :'(  i never caught it and wondered if people who have cold sores are more susceptical to it........... ??? ???
Mx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 08:50:04 pm »
Folks, yes try to avoid it but really (apart from colliewoman's thoughtful reminder to gentlemen...) it isn't the end of the world if you do get it.  I got it in a nick on a finger, yes it was sore, yes it was itchy, but  ::) really, worse things happen to smallholders and farmers.  It isn't the end of the world - and you are probably immune once you've had it.

And yes, I get cold sores too.  Sadly one doesn't seem to become immune to them.  ::) :'(

I agree the sheep looks orfy.  I also think she looks sore and would be worried about secondary infection where she's scratched the bridge of her nose.  (Do sheep's noses have bridges?)  So I'd be at that with the blue spray after I've Daz'd and it's dried.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 10:46:11 am »
Thanks guys, its been very helpful, can dogs catch it too?  i will just finish my breakfast and off down to the shops to by the biological daz and some nice marigolds.   I will let you know how i get on

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »
Thanks guys, its been very helpful, can dogs catch it too? 
I can't see why not, but I don't recall ever hearing of one that did.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 10:00:51 pm »
Got the daz, put in some water, lathered it up and gently rubbed over her nose a few times, with gloves on of course, after a while i applied iodine, and gave her long acting anti biotic, not that it will help the orf but will help if there is any secondary infections, then scrubbed everything clean afterwards.

anything else I can do?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 12:24:20 am »
Well done andy, she'll feel a lot more comfortable now.  Just keep an eye on her, especially that she is eating and cudding normally - they can get blisters / ulcers in the mouth which make eating painful. 

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 09:17:29 am »
The antibiotics will cover her against secondary infections but can't act against virals..... Moorits eh? I'll have to get the camera out.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 09:27:26 am »
Moorits eh? I'll have to get the camera out.
;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS