Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when is play fighting just fighting?  (Read 2711 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
when is play fighting just fighting?
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:01:50 pm »
Hi  :wave:

Despite his incapacitated limb, Toby insists in ambushing Polly relenlessly and she seems pretty sick of it. theres alot of meowing from Polly and as he wont give in she eventually scarpers :-\

Is this the start of the end of their mother and son relationship? Will the fighting get more serious as he gets older?

Buffy

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: when is play fighting just fighting?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:06:29 pm »
How old is he?  Is Polly his real Mum? 

I had to separate Bobby and his Mum as he was just making her life a misery (dogs)  He is now with my older bitch and she doesn't take any nonsense from him even though she is half his size.  But she plays with him as well which his mother never really did much.  I don't think Toby will really fight properly with his Mum, and so long as she can get away from him it'll be fine.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:16:09 pm »
Aye, some cats are just nuisances.  I had a female was horrid to her brother, who only ever loved her and looked out for her.  When he was shot dead she did of course miss him.  When I got a new kitten, he just ragged on and on at the incumbent, who agreed that she should have appreciated her own brother when she had him...

So long as Polly can get away from the little pest, she'll be fine.  Poor Toby - how much longer is he supposedly on 'cage rest'?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:23:09 am »
Toby is about 7 months and Polly is his natural mother. Polly can get away and gets to play out all day without him.

next weds if 4 weeks since his injury so hes half way through his confinement, I'm really not sure if it will heal but he isnt putting weirgt on it which is good.

To be fair to him he is pretty genltle when he plays with us and intersperses biting with licking. But Polly did always play rough with him when he was younger so perhaps he only giving her a bit of her own medicine. She used to ambush him and bite his head when he least expected it so he has learnet from her.

I hope they can stay as good companions.

Buffy

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:26:27 am »
I love that picture Buffy  :thumbsup:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:42:14 am »
I love that picture Buffy  :thumbsup:
Sally
Me too  :love: :cat: :cat:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:42:30 am »
Thanks Sally,

he was quite young in the photo, still being weaned. And in the words of the AAMilne poem - what ever he did he did with her. :D

His confinement has meant that the two of them have got used to being more independent of each other and although he likes to play with her he dosent need to snuggle up with her quite so much.

I should point out that if he ambushes her when she is in a playful mood then she will give him a good going over. Its just that he often wants to bite her head while she is snoozing or having a wash ::)

If they were wild / feral would she reject him and drive him away at a certain age or would she only do that if she was pregnant again?

Buffy

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 11:27:38 am »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS