Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Releasing barn cats  (Read 5700 times)

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
Releasing barn cats
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:06:37 pm »
We had 2 little female kittens from the RSPCA a fortnight ago. They are 8 months old and lived virtually all there life in a big dog crate, at least the last 6 anyway. We have had them in a big dog crate ourselves for a fortnight in the barn, feeding them and getting to know them. They are nervous but happy just about to be tickled around there heads and stroked. My question is do I know just leave the crate door open one evening and allow them out. Frightened they may leg it and not come back.   :cat: :cat:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Releasing barn cats
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:12:29 pm »
If they have been in their new place for a couple of weeks I think you will be ok to leave the door open.  They will know where they live by now.
Good luck
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:23:11 pm »
im not sure if theyve only lived in a crate that when given their freedom they will know how to get home, i would at first, just let them out in the barn and keep them hungry until they return, and do it in the daytime cos if they get lost at night theyl be much harder to find.
  i lost a kitten once overnight, then next day i walked all round the village (mousehole, lovely :D) dragging a smelly work jumper on the floor, an hour later the cat was home.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »
Yes, if you can let them out into a confined space first, and especially if you can teach them a 'food's out' noise (mine have always done African Elephant Stampede impersonation to "kkkkKKKKKKIITTTTTTIIIIEEEEEESSSSSSS!|"), then you would feel more confident you could call them home when they do get let right out.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:57:59 pm »
Thanks, we have been shaking a tin with cat biscuits in at each feed time and calling puss puss puss for them, so hopefully will recognise meal time. Will make the barn hopefully cat escape proof in the morning. Mousehole how lovely, can just picture you dragging a jumper around all the little streets.  :cat: :cat:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:25:18 pm »
If they've slept on a blanket or towel in there, you can hang it on the washing line so they follow their noses to find their scent and get home.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »
I kept my 3 in the tackroom/stable for 6 weeks and then let them out an hour before feed time for a week and then a few hours before feed time when I was happy they knew feed time and where home was I let them out for the day. They still come in at night about 8pm and stay in for the night as we shut the window to the tackroom and they are let out at 5am I have not had an issue with them and they can be seen around the holding most of the day chasing rabbits or just playing.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:46:38 pm »
Dont worry too much. Even if they go exploring for a week or so when you first let them out, as long as you are Mrs Food they tend to turn up again without fail and then stick around.

I would get them hungry then open up and have the cat food nearby looking yummy, they wont abandon you for good :-)))

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 08:19:23 pm »
Hi all, thanks. Braved it about 4 days ago and let them out for an hour before their supper time and they came back in for supper. Gradually increased the time the last 3 days until today they have been out all day and as ellisr said her's did thay have just played around the yard chasing each other and leaves etc and come back in for supper.  We have then shut the barn door for the night. Must admit they don't get let out at 5am, you are up very early Ellisr or do you have an electronic pop hole like we have on the chicken house? :wave:!!
its funny in hindsight how stressed out you get about these things. Just didnt want harm to come to them or for them to get lost after having spent majority of their life (6 + months) shut up  in a cage. ::) Its just great to see them running around having fun at last.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 10:35:56 pm »
vv rewarding isnt it? we had some that were taken in by CPL as kittens and it took 11 months for them to find a home for them as they were feral. A lovely day to release them to our place as we are not on a road, no roads for a mile or so in any direction :-)) and a million voles to drive them mad!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 09:22:56 am »
I do get up early as I have to leave for work at 7am and all the animals have to be fed and cleaned before that.

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 11:45:54 pm »
 you poor thing Ellisr, I so admire you, and you still find time for all that beautiful  knitting and craft work. I will think of you when I wake in the morning. I am very lucky ( as regards not having to get up early ) . Was a Macmillan Nurse and was up very early but then was very ill myself and given ill health retirement. Miss the job so much and the patients but love having the opportunity and the time to have and care for some animals of our own now.  :thumbsup:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 08:57:17 am »
I don't look at is as a chore I look at it as a blessing. I have all these fab animals a lovely husband who supports me with anything I do and I'm always kept busy so I don't have time to dwell on my own illness. I then go to work and run an office full of lovely supportive people and have the opportunity to exhibit my crafts over the next few months and do demonstration, life doesn't get much better.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 09:27:55 am »
Ellisr,
Thats a wonderful way of looking at things.  Long may it continue for you.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS