Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Royal Bank of Scotland  (Read 5918 times)

DavidnChris

Royal Bank of Scotland
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:27:10 am »
If I were a customer of the RBS I think I would be down at my local branch anytime now to close the account.
At what point will their customers turn round en masse and let them know who's actually in charge.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Royal Bank of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:50:18 am »
On a slightly different angle - I do my business banking with RBS and they are so professional and attentive in comparison to the "couldn't care less and blase" attitude of the Clydesdale. Anyway, last week I bumped into our Business Account Manager and boy did she look awful! It is clear to see that she is having difficulty in sleeping and her professional life is obviously taking its toll. I asked her how safe her job was and she explained that so far so good, however, the level of managers above her had been told to empty their desks and leave. She also said that the staff behind the desks were getting so much verbal abuse and bullying from people. This is not on - it is not these peoples fault the mess their company is in. But yes it is a very worrying time for investors and obvioulsy their staff.

Now on a more contraversial note - Sir Fred Goodwin! As much as i totally disagree with his pay off and pension I feel he is being made into a witch hunt. We are all extremlely peeved off with the fat cats and their obscene salaries but name me one other of these "fat cats" that has his business and face plastered over every daily newspaper, bet you can't? This situation should never have been allowed but we seem to be pointing the finger at only Sir Fred. I read his children have had to be removed from school for  their own safety, this is wrong!!!

I am not for a second saying this man's finances are ok, but it was a private company and run by a board of directors who obviously didn't have an issue with these disgusting sums of money. Scary thing too very few of the chaps making this kind of money in banking had any previous experience in banking. Lessons must be learnt, shame its too  late.

James
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:55:28 am by jameslindsay »

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:14:13 am »
i've banked with the RBS for over 20 years, they have been nothing short of fantastic with me

it's always been a source of pride for me that the RBS and BOS were great, successful scottish institutions. I know lots of people who work for them (branches and head office) and lots of those folk are worried over their jobs just now - for circumstances well beyond their control (though having said that, i found out yesterday i was NOT being made redundant, but the guy next to me was! so we all have to face redundancy at some time)

I'll continue to use the bank, IMO they offer a much better service than the others. I hope the company gets through this and that the financial/banking sector as a whole gets the swift kick in the nadgers it sorely needs.

I'm also thinking now might jsut be a good time to buy a few RBS shares!!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:51:33 pm by sellickbhoy »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:21:12 am »
Sellick - good news you kept your job - hellish times we are living in just now. However, if any body has spare cash buying shares must be a good investment - not for the immediate future but eventaully they have to start going up in value!

DavidnChris

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:24:29 am »
With my original comment I was thinking of this mornings headline that Fred Goodwin  is getting a tax break on his pension.
I wouldn't want to have a go at the counter staff who at the end of the day are just normal folk like the majority of us.
However Sellickbhoy summed it so much better than I was doing when he said..........

financial/banking sector as a whole gets the swift kick in the nadgers it sorely needs.

I speak as someone who has been clobbered by the pension system and the FSA do sweet FSA about any of these things.

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:10:41 pm »
something I looked at when the banks first started to collapse in september.....I saw that the government had said that at any given moment , the banks were to stop trading ..shut up shop in an instant ... that was to prevent a run on the banks, if people were to try to take out their money . As far as I know , that is still in place . Really funny thing is though , the web site I read that on has gone !!!! I wonder why ???? Another funny thing , I read an article by one of the RBS big boys in feb/mar LAST year , that said the banks were going to start collapse in the second week of sept 2008  , now how could he know that ? was it just a guess? well he gave far to many details for a guess. I would put a link for that article on here ....but it has been pulled ...? some very funny things are going on . As for why only FG is being harrassed , GB wants to keep the peoples eye (and anger away from him ) He is one of the top people to blame for all of this. He sold our gold reserves off . He has borrowed more and more money over the 12 years or so . He is the one that lifted all the laws preventing banks from doing what they have been doing . For some reason they seem intent on the UK and the rest of the world going down the pan ....WHY ...... NEW WORLD ORDER..... they have been on about this for some time now , and it now looks as though they are getting ready to bring it about . The first leader to really mention this was George Bush Senior. Do a google , you will see George Bush sr and jr talking about it , as well as Tony Blair , Gordon Brown and the saviour of the world Barack Obama. Funny how things have gone very quiet with him too .... First he said , as soon as he was in power he would deffinitely pull all US troops out of Iraq, then he got in , when asked what was happeneing he said , we will try to get them out in 18 months , then when aske again he said, well we will talk about withdrawing some troops in 23 months ....all this while he was saying he was sending another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan, and that if Iran were to go ahead and create the ability to make a nuclear weapon  by september 2009 , the USA WOULD attack Iran , just as George Bush had said before. I know that has nothing visably to do with RBS ... but I think all these things are linked . In the states they have changed the law out there , so that the army can now take arms against Americans... and the president can initiate martial law without having to get anything passed ......similar things are affoot here too. Still get the people pointing fingers and venting anger at some poor (POOR????) scape goat like Fred Goodwin , and they can manipulate and turn our world upside down , without even being noticed. Russia and China are about to pull all their money out of the US dollar , that means the USA are down the pan if they do . Russia is spending more money on their army than EVER before. Japan and North Korea are about to go to war if NK fire a ballistic weapon over Japan on April 2nd I think it is. Sout Korea has already prepared 1.1 million troops for war , and the USA has got 26,000 troops there on war games ???????? Like I say they want our eyes averted elsewhere while they all prepare for something ....I hate to think what .... In the mean time how long will it be before one of the big boy fat cat bankers gets killed ? They are walking a tightrope .... batten down the hatches folks ... you aint seen nothing yet ......

Russ

DavidnChris

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:21:36 pm »
So Russ, in short, are you saying this is not all down to a few dodgy mortgage deals in Idaho.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:24:39 pm »
Every time Labour have been in power they leave the country bankrupt and in a helluva state, this time will be no exception. Sad thing is Scotland would vote him back into power I believe, let's hope the English see sense and kick them out at the next election.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 12:54:52 pm »
Sellick - good news you kept your job - hellish times we are living in just now.

Thanks, not even 5 days after hearing it wasn't me getting the punt, i walked into the office today to hear we are in talks to be bought over by IBM. So, once again, the spectre of redundancy hangs over me.

we did joke in the office that it'll only be a matter of time before more redundancies are announced - there we go. not even a week to relax and enjoy the lovely spring air.

think i might just have to make an extra effort this year to become self sufficient for food - and let Mrs SB earn the green :-)

it's a prospect that i've been working on for a while if truth be told!!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 01:17:00 pm »
I'll put my life savings on the fact that the US will NOT invade Iran. It's three times the size of France,they can't even handle Iraq (granted that Iran are funding the insurgency there at 3million dollars a month).Oh,and they did just buy another 250 centrifugal cleansers for plutonium,but Rusty,in my opinion,it's all posturing at the moment,countries "bigging it up" (in my best chav accent) ,and that it'll all go quiet soon for quite some time. No-one can afford to go to war.

My answer to all of this....... Cheap Affordable Housing for all. It would solve so many of this and other country's problems,both short term and long term. With affordable housing,only one parent need work leaving one parent at home to bring up the child(ren),higher moral standards achieved,lower crime,lower insurance premiums,more time for one parent to garden/grow veg etc,better diets,less obesity and strain on the NHS. If all the foreign aid was ploughed into housing,just for one year,everybody could have their own house! The average overall cost of building a 2 bed semi is between 50 & 60k (plus building plot).

Sorry,slightly off-topic.  oh yes RBS! I hope the customers do buy the shares,then start voting. It only takes 1 person to buy one share,then get 10 other shareholders together and things can really start happening at AGM's....... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

rustyme

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 01:30:03 pm »
hello David,
             I think the economic collapse is far more complicated than just the mortgages in the USA . They won't have helped !! but I think the world economy was a runnaway train heading for disaster anyway. I am far to thick to understand all the intracasies of the fiscal world , but I can see that it just didn't add up . I also think that the economic crisis was a gift from heaven for the leaders that want this New World Order. It couldn't have happened at a better time really. Was it planned ? I don't know , I don't know how it could have been . There are so many conspiracy theories that you could plunge into , I hope I am not doing so . I base my views on information I read about events ,that actually happen !! Some of these events you can see how they came about , and some you can't . Are the leaders of the world planning a new world order ..YES .. no doubt about it , they have said so . Are we on the brink of a complete world collapse , both economic and social ? I don't know ....but we are getting close to both . What will that intail ? world war ?, or lots of smaller ones ? I don't know that either . Do they know ? well basically yes !!! they have a pretty good idea , they just can't predict when it will kick off, but they can steer towards it . Thats what it all boils down to really control , power. Power to control the world population , can we do anything about it ? ... nope. We are the ones being controlled. Controlled by an unelected leader ,Gordon Brown. All this being said though , things could rumble on for quite some time yet !! How long ? Now that really is THE question !!!! In the mean time I will just be enjoying this lovely weather.... ::) They can't control that !!! can they ? oh god ... global warming .... did they plan that too ?  :o :o ::) ;D

Cheers

Russ

rustyme

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 07:07:57 pm »
I hope it is all just posturing as you say Ree.....(my dads bigger than your dad and all that) ...Iran is a much different kettle of fish to Iraq. Look what happened in the Iran Iraq war , with the US and the UK providing Iraq with millions of £'s worth of military stuff including training ....remember those days when Saddam Hussien was the blue eyed boy ? going to dinner with good ole Maggy T and the Queen even !!!!.....ahhh those were the days my friend , we thought they'd never end ......but they did ....  :o ::):) The thing with war is ,it  always comes when no body can afford it ....Thats why they start them !!! lots of money to be made out of making weapons and such, oh and added bonus you have control over tens of thousands of people , plus you get shot of a fair few  too....I just hope that history doesn't repeat itself , it does have a habbit of doing just that though .....Truth is I have no idea what is going to happen , any more than anybody else !! As I said at the top ... I hope it is all just so much blah blah blah .... ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 10:00:13 pm »
Russ, It reminds me of conjuring tricks..distract the eye of the audience with one hand while you're doing something with the other....
I was always a little perturbed by the huge underground seed bank that they built in Norway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault (Dubbed the “Doomsday Vault”) ....impending disater or what!?
I believe that in the event of a global catastrophe, all of the worlds leaders are to be ushered into their respective counteries underground bunkers....how comforting to know that the world would be re-populated by the most devious, coniving, untrustworthy buggers imaginable!! I give that new world a reaaaallllly poor chance of getting past it's first 200 yrs (optimistically)...Lol

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 10:31:20 pm »
So... RBS- yes. I feel sorry for Fred the shred. I think he is being made a scape goat, what so many people seem to forget that RBS wouldn't be the huge company it is now if he hadn't very, very successfully led the Natwest takeover. However, he isn't blame free. He went on a total spending spree over the last few years and has led RBS into the mire it is now in. Also, this pension business is a disgrace. That he made millions during the time he worked for RBS, and yet they still have to pay out a fortune every year. Yes, he is entitled to a pension, but one of that size? Ridiculous. That said he doesn't deserve to be hounded by the press constantly, or have his kids bullied to the extend they have been. Pointing the finger at Sir Fred isn't right, I know for a fact that the Global Banking Markets division made a huge loss for the bank in 08- primarily because the business they brought in covered less than a 1/3 of their fat cat salaries and bonuses. So there are way more people to blame than just one man. I do agree that the government (GB) should take more responsibility than they have done so far.

Conspiracy theories are all very well, I don't genuinely believe the financial crash could have been orchastrated though maybe I am wrong.

So, onto the confession time- I have worked for RBS since 2001. I am fortunate in that I work in Fraud just now, which is at least a growth industry! So my job isn't quite hanging in the balance, although we don't know what the future holds yet. However, I know many many people who work in other areas who may be not so fortunate.

The staff in the branches, are having to put up with hell just now. I haven't worked in a branch since 2005, and even then you used to always get snide comments and abuse (mostly back then about the profits RBS were making and how shocking it was that the customers weren't reaping the benefits). Branch staff have the hardest job of the lot of RBS staff, for the worst, worst wages and they also have horrendous targets heaped onto their shoulders to achieve sales. Anyone who wants to moan at someone in the branch is totally deluded.

Beth

PS- I bought several shares when they were at 16p!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS