Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Co-op. Not the shop though!  (Read 8262 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Co-op. Not the shop though!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 08:40:05 am »
It's maybe not the work so much when you're doing it on your own, I enjoy that, but it being a bit solitary. I would love someone there perhaps to open a gate when I have my hands full of buckets and a bundle of hay or straw under my arm, plodging through mud with porkers nipping at my wellies and trying to walk between my legs :o
Also someone to share with the sight of the crows dive-bombing the buzzards or a rare bird or the sight of the piglets almost lost in the grass as they look for their mum. Someone to share ideas with or to have ideas of their own to discuss.
Even someone to bang in a fencing stake while I keep it upright. Someone enthusiastic and a bit dedicated. I will keep looking ;)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 09:39:22 am »
My experience with hebs is a little different. I started with 4 heb wethers who were tough and healthy, but quite flighty and could jump like a mountain goat! Standard sheep hurdles are no good if they get spooked, they will clear them with a standing jump. They got eaten, very tasty, but stronger darker meat than standard hogget, and the carcase is smaller. I have gone back to commercial breed now. I have southdowns that are small, docile, greedy (they come racing to the bucket), and taste superb. I will say they need more watching and regular care (worming,pour ons,feet), but its nice to be more hands on with them, and amazing how you learn and become more confident. good luck  :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 01:11:54 pm »
sylvia, i wish i lived closer!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 02:39:59 pm »
I wish you did too :) Never mind, it will all work out for the best.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 07:01:17 pm »
I know I could never be part of a co-op as I'm too independant-minded and bolshy  :o :D  Same for my OH  ::)  We have been searching for an alternative way to have help with our smallholding, but so far the best is our local smallholding group, where we do help eachother out with big things like haymaking, putting on roofs and so on.  OH says he was listening to a radio talk about living in a commune - those who have done it said that far from having to be kind and thoughtful to everyone, you actually have to be hard and brutal to survive, otherwise you just get trampled on - interesting.  I know you are just contemplating a co-op not a commune BR.  My main thought with that is that too much time is spent on reaching decisions, so it's better to have one person who is the leader.

For choosing which breed of sheep to have - well, obviously Hebrideans have a special link with Windermere, so that gives them a head start for you.  Some people find them too feisty, but we have found that lambs born on our holding are becoming more amenable with each year, so that our flock is perfectly manageable.  We are gentle when we handle them and most of the time they get to do what they want to, which includes unzipping our pockets to look for biscuits. 
All the primitives are very tasty, each in their own way, so there is little to choose between them for eating. A smaller carcase is more use for a small family than a huge one which ends up with wastage.
Rarity value is relevant if you want a rarer breed. Shetlands are very numerous now (as well as being a commercial breed in their home islands) although they have plenty of other traits to recommend them. Boreray are extremely rare and could do with as many new flocks as they can get.  The Soay and Boreray Sheep Soc looks after them, and stock can be obtained from Julie Suffolk who lives near Macclesfield.  Hebrideans are now quite numerous, except for the multi-horns and other older types, which are only just hanging in there, so in a way they are a rare breed within a traditional breed.
Products-  we have looked at meat, but the other main product is wool.  Shetlands have by far the most versatile fleece, both for colour and texture; I love the double Hebridean fleece and spin and knit it every day; Boreray fleece is coarser and difficult to catch before it roos itself.  Remember that the wool has to be spun before your sister can knit it.  Either one of you will need to learn to spin ( :thumbsup:)  or you will need to collect up enough for a mill run, usually about 20-25kgs, and save up to pay for it - looks like learning to spin then  ;D
It is well worth spending some time looking at the breeds you are contemplating and hearing different opinions. Many breeders are happy to show you round and answer any questions you have - you are welcome to visit here for example.  You can then work out what is right for you and your situation.  Often starting with Shetlands is a good idea as they are easy to manage in general, there are plenty to choose from, they are tasty and you can use the fleece.  On the downside, they are not particularly exciting to look at, whereas Hebrideans are pretty spectacular, especially those with lots of horns.
There are more considerations for choosing a breed but I need to go and put dinner on the table  ::)

Sorry if this is in the wrong section on here.
Has anyone ever set up or been part of a co-op owning and rearing livestock?
I'd really like to have some sheep, but I would find it hard to do all the necessary work on my own and I'd quite like someone elses input into owning them.
How would you go about setting it up and finding willing 'victims' as mad as me?  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »
i find my boreray wool is softer than the hebridean by far. it handsheared so easily. also out of our 4 ewes, only 1 was self shedding. we sold our fleeces to a lady in england who is trying to promote the boreray fleeces and sent samples to usa for analysis. hopefully if it is marketed in the way they are trying to, the boreray wool can be sold at a premium, and hopefully that will be enough to increase their numbers.

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 08:40:15 pm »
Hmmm lots to think about and I will think over all the good and bad points carefully. Obviously the Hebrideans are nearby and have caught my eye, but the Boreray I really like too, and rare breeds are close to my heart. Not wanting or needing to make money out of them, it is just for pleasure (I know I'm nuts!) Can you borrow tups?? ;D
The idea of a smallholders group is a seriously good plan, but as far as I know there is nothing like that here. Maybe that's something that wants thinking about too. I know plenty of peeps who would be interested too.
I had the option of going into a co-op with some other 'ladies' (they might be ladies, my dear old Dad said I wasn't much of one -tom boy yes, lady no!), but I quickly dismissed that one as I am far too stubborn, so again that was one reason for asking the question in the first place about co-ops, as I wasn't entirely sure if it would be workable for me. I'm self employed and I like it that way. Dave (OH) will just have to come and get muddy with me more often.  ;D

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 05:12:04 pm »
Have a look at community supported agriculture (CSA) schemes. The soil association should know if there's one near you and they provide masses of helpful advice (and courses) if you decide to try. We ran a pig club, six families looking after three pigs, a couple of years ago, then last year bought a place and started a CSA scheme with 18 families helping out on a six acre holding. We're hoping to sign up a few more families now to take our total to 20 for 2012. If you're interested, you can have a look at http://www.hempsalsfarm.com to see what we get up to. I'd be more than happy to have a chat if you'd like to know more about how we set it up and how the whole thing works.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS