Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Road safety rant  (Read 9769 times)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Road safety rant
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 08:11:39 pm »

'nuff said! ;)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 09:52:54 pm »
I was wondering what the point of the picture was apart from "does my bum look big in this" when I realised there were two horses and riders in the picture!
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 10:59:29 pm »
I was wondering what the point of the picture was apart from "does my bum look big in this" when I realised there were two horses and riders in the picture!

Yep that's the point :thumbsup:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 07:11:06 pm »
My pet hate is horse-riders without hi-viz.  My daughter and I have always ridden out wearing hi-viz vests and leg wraps on the horses legs. For many years we were the 'only' riders to look hideous, but I'd rather be seen, than be dead.

When other riders have taken my girls out, they too have been handed the hi-viz, otherwise they don't ride my girls.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:02:40 pm »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 09:15:25 pm »
I would have to ask what the riders were actually doing on a dark winters morning on the roads, if I have to ride when visability is bad I do it over farm land and away from roads. Even lit up like a xmas tree drivers don't expect a horse on the road as they don't have built in lights and I love my horse too much to put him in danger.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 08:02:57 am »
if it is dark they should under the highway code actually be wearing lights, tho few seem to realise this. I have no problem what time of the day they are there, but wish they would dress for the conditions. (speak as a rider myself who definitely would be seen  given my violent hi viz)

princesspiggy

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 06:55:57 pm »
we have a lady near us that walks her 3 black dogs in her black jacket along the bendy country lanes, the amount of times iv nearly got her is scary.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 07:03:19 pm »
OH bought her hi-viz secondhand from the police and found it came complete with the chequerboard stripes.  It does cause people to slow down...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 09:24:07 pm »
Dont know if they had hi-viz but this driver was held responsible, since 2 horses and 1 person killed.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/311318.html

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 05:20:13 pm »
we have a lady near us that walks her 3 black dogs in her black jacket along the bendy country lanes, the amount of times iv nearly got her is scary.

We have 'mad' joggers in black trackies & hoodies running head on into traffic down an 'A' road!! ::)
The nutters out there without hi-viz  should be done for not being able to be seen. 
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 10:15:19 am »
that is the direction that mad joggers should run     into oncoming traffic so that they can see the vehicles and take avoiding action :farmer:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 11:36:52 am »
We seem now to be on some variety of cycle route which means that we get groups of up to a dozen brightly coloured cyclists going past every weekend  For them bright colours (and distressingly tight spandex) is a fashion statement, so what is about the joggers and about half the horse riders?

These days to see a woman on a horse without a decent helmet is really unusual.  The blokes, though, are much harder and will apparently survive a fall from 9' onto Tarmac undamaged.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:51 am »
My husband is very sensible and always wears his hat, armour and hi viz when riding even in the fields, I think the hi viz is so I can see him head down and legs up in the hedge when Blue decides he has had enough and throws him  ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:08 pm »
When we lived in the horrid SE England, hubby always rode with yellow hi viz and horse with yellow hi viz quarter sheet. Partly for visibility but also handily our big horse is a 17hh HW Irish draught with a sniff of TB and the horse/clothing looked like a police horse at first glance, which made drivers behaviour a bit less dangerous! On the rat run country lane we had to ride, that was essential.

I dont get that benefit with the Haflinger but with her Barbie palomino looks I find a lot of drivers are nice to us and a lot actually stop to chat about her, as they want to know what she is breed wise.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS