Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Veg to grow in pots?  (Read 3945 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Veg to grow in pots?
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:03:19 pm »

Does anyone have recommendations on what veg would grow well in pots / planters in the garden?  Looking for stuff that will give a high yield for the minimum amount of space.

The areas we have are the garden, which is very dark / shaded because of trees, and a wee patch of gravel round the front of the house which is a bit sunnier. We don't have much of a veggie patch, so I wanted to add a bit more space by filling pots with some spare molehills from the field next door  ;).

Any recommendations for what would grow well in each area?   
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: Veg to grow in pots?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »
i've got a few 9" deep pots and i've put carrots in them, you can sow them as normal and eat teh wee ones when you thin them out and then get a few bigger ones left to grow in teh pot

things like peas are good for pots as they grow vertically, so put them up a wall or fence

Courgettes would do well in a pot on a windowsill - loads of food of one good plant!

if you can get a wee plastic cold frame type thing, i'd highly recommend an apache chilli plant - i got hundred of chillis of one on my kitchen window sill last year.

buy some of the bigger compost bags and throw some seed tatties in and stack the bags up against a wall. though maybe not ideal if space is tight

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 03:36:04 pm »

things like peas are good for pots as they grow vertically, so put them up a wall or fence

As with anything in pot you need to water them a lot especially the beans and peasas they love water to fill their little seed up

Linz

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:57:35 pm »
Also good in pots (as long as they're quite big 'planter' style ones)

Beetroot
Radishes
Spring onions
Baby Veg (lots of varieties)
Lettuce
Tomatoes

The bigger the pot/planter the better really as it will hold more water and reduce the need to water frequently (could be as much as twice a day, if we get 'hot' weather) and let the roots get going. If you're only talking about 9 or 10 inch pots you'd be much more restricted than with one thats 12-18 inches deep for example.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 05:44:04 pm »
Oh and plenty of water retaining granuals will help
even capillary matting can help

but neither is essential

btw big green leaved plants like shaded areas

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS