Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please: Minerals for native ponies  (Read 9642 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Advice please: Minerals for native ponies
« on: December 19, 2011, 10:05:22 am »
So, which block should I use for the Fells and Dales?  We are of course copper, cobalt & selenium deficient where we are.  I read about some on here using yellow Rockies for ponies and some of you use red. 

Whenever I go into my local equestrian supplies place I just come out boggled at all the different blocks and empty-handed.  But I've got a few ends of manes and tails turning brown (all the ponies are black all over) so I think they'll be needing copper.

Help please!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Advice please: Minerals for native ponies
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:50:24 am »
I give our's yellow Rockie - I think it might not have copper, because it's suitable for all stock including sheep and our ponies run with the sheep. They also have rock salt.

The Rockies website annoyingly doesn't list what's in each type of block and the download that MIGHT tell you is broken.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 08:52:44 am »
For the last several years I have given yellow rockies to sheep and red rockies to cows and ponies. If the sheep and ponies are in the same field I just make sure the red rockies are hung too high for the sheep to reach.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:29:53 pm »
I use red ones for the goats, because they do have copper whereas the yellow ones don't, that's right Rosemary.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:59:57 pm »
I use red and blue rockies - yellow has no copper which is why it's used for sheep but if you've got black ponies turning brown then you need the copper just hang it where sheep can't get to it. 

The red general one is great allround supplementation for natives (I have Highlands) which I put out all year round.  In spring however I add a blue one which is magnesium rich and may help prevent laminitis aswell as being supposed to be calming for animals that might get a bit high on spring grass ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

jenny

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:14:46 pm »
Hi, this is the first time ever I have replied on any forum so excuse my inexperience. I have a fell mare and did have a shetland as well. I have a paddock paradise system of grazing and try to plant as many herbs, trees and hedgerows as possible. The only fodder my fell is having is meadow hay and one cup of minerals called base mix from company called thunderbrook.  At the moment my mare is in the centre of the fields eating the old grass. The du ng is left and will be harrowed in April when she comes off the field and onto the track system until November again.
I have  only came across this site and so thrilled and excited by it.
I have 5 acres that I bought and have a garden, hens, orchard and now learning my fell to work the land.
I hope this helps.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51:08 pm »
Well hello and welcome, jennyw5.  Thank you for replying.  I will look up thunderbrook.

I am very interested to know more about how you work your Fell.  I would love to have my Fells do some real work, and so would they.  Please tell me some more!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:29:42 pm »
Sally are you sure manes turning brown is a mineral deficiency?  I bought a "black" horse and within a few weeks of turn out he started turning brown (which was his passport colour). I think it gets called sunburn/sunburnt in some places.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:25:59 pm »
I think it gets called sunburn/sunburnt in some places.
hahahahahhahHHHHAHHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHHAHHAHAHAHHAHA  ;D

You know I'm in t'frozen wastes of t'North, don'tcha?

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »
Hi SallyintNorth,  I don't know exactly where you are but I live in Aberdeenshire and there is a company here that has produced a produce specially for the Aberdeenshire area.  It is a loose powder made up of all sorts of minerals etc and it is supposed to give your horse/ pony the correct nutrients the soil lacks. 

The company is called Norvite.  Can't remember what the product is called as we buy it in a large bag although it comes in a big tub also.

I add a scoop into my horses hard feed each day.

jenny

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 08:35:35 pm »
Hi there my fell is black and gets brown dapples in summer and her mane tinged brown at the ends which is normal. If you look at all the photos of fells on the society web site you will see the brown coming through on some in their native habitat. But i am sure if you want more reassurance the fell pony society will help you..
I am long reining my fell at the moment and she is going really well up and down the field. Stopping when asked, turning correct ways when asked etc.  Waiting on one day course with rosemary to get me going further.
Hope this helps.

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 10:45:31 pm »
we use red rockies - the big ones. they last a good while and the ponies love them. we tie them up high so sheep cant reach if they are sharing fields. the white ones just dissolve in the rain.
we got the expensive mollassed vit buckets once but gone within 48 hrs and they even rolled in it.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 08:49:21 am »
Mineral deficiencies in the soil can certainly be a factor in fading coats, but some Dales ponies are genetically 'fading blacks' whereas others are pure blacks - the fading blacks (which I have) ted to go various shades of brown in their summer coat.  I've had one who has looked almost dun one summer!  They also fade more during some summers than others, I have no idea why!

My two black mares get reddish tinges in their mane also (I think it's rather attractive  :)).
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:05 am »
Just dont do what a girl at my old livery yard did with her poor beautiful young Friesian gelding. She didnt like his coat going reddish/orange in the summer so she would rug the thing up the whole time he was out, whatever the heat or  weather :-(( grrrr

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 01:07:03 pm »
I've never had much choice with regard to salt licks. It's always been whatever the various saddlery has had in stock. Mostly they are the red ones, although at the moment I've sourced the Himalayan licks as they weather well in the outside lick holder.

I have a black native pony, her coat has always alternated between black and a sort of reddy brown in places (particularly around the flanks). She gets all her minerals and vitamins in her daily feed (plus access to the salt lick).

:horse:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS