Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs too fat - got it wrong again !  (Read 11770 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs too fat - got it wrong again !
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 03:55:47 pm »
Robert - was the lighter one a different sex ?
I'm just digesting the figures and can see that with the heavier ones the killing out percentage was 74% but the smaller one the killing out percentage dropped to 58% - wondering if there would be a reason for that ?
Not picking holes ! Just wondering  ;)
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 04:53:54 pm »
that is the whole point of putting the figures on  is so that they can be digested scrutinised etc
the two heavy ones were gilts the lighter one was a castrate but was always a bit lighter there is another 5 that are lighter than these 3 and are gilts and castrates i would not go reading to much into the difference in weights you want them to fatten at staggered times either that or you will have  them all ready to go and have to offload them
anyway the weights           are you sure your sums are right the two big ones killed out at 74% and 74.5% the lighter one killed out at73%     89 kilos living 65 kilos dead for 58% it would need to be a carcase weight of 51.62 kilos :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 05:11:52 pm »
are you sure your sums are right

Nope - my sums were wrong  :dunce:
You're right, the killing out %age is the same for both and I need to go back to school to learn how to do percentage calculations again  ::) Been a busy day  ;)
I'll have to get a look at your comparision chart on them (you know me, too nosey !) and talk to you about how you feed to stagger finishing within the one litter  ;)
See you for turkey plucking next week (as long as I'm not snowed in !)  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 06:03:51 pm »
the feeding is the easy bit  simples        the ones that are the better doers IE growing bigger and quicker than the others separate them feed them a bit more not to much or they just s**t it out them restrict the others but again not to restrictive know your market that you are aiming for  jobs a good un
all that college training was not a waste after all    the accountancy course o yes there was no money in farming and even less in pig farming   it just keeps you out the pub :farmer:

Mel

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 06:26:23 pm »
Hello all  :wave:

Long time since I have been on,I just saw this thread and I have just had my two sows GOS/Saddleback done this week,they were 11 months-way too long and I have ended up with between 10mm and 40mm of fat-dependant on where it came from. That is abysmal after my boars with only half an inch earlier in the year!

The butcher has trimmed off 99% of the fat-I have it here now and the joints are being cured.I would not batter myself about getting it wrong,I know they went too late but have been quite ill. The joints look really good considering!

Mel x

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 06:42:42 pm »

The butcher has trimmed off 99% of the fat-I have it here now

If you mean you have the fat, what are your plans for it...? (Any going spare?)  ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »
If you mean you have the fat, what are your plans for it...? (Any going spare?)  ;D

what for? just wondering  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 07:01:44 pm »
soap   cooking fat     helping you into these sexy leather strides :thumbsup: :farmer:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 07:02:34 pm »

For rendering/cooking - my supply of virtually-organic beef dripping is dwindling, and I might not be able to have butter shortly (looong story).
I eat...weird things  ;D
I should add I'd be willing to pay as well as beg!  :D

princesspiggy

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 07:09:36 pm »
we have stacks in the freezer too...
wev bin using flavoured lard after cooking HFW's rillons with delilahs belly. very fine.
in fact i have to cook with lard everytime as the gos has very little fat.

Mel

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 08:04:06 pm »

The butcher has trimmed off 99% of the fat-I have it here now

Not half! I cannot get through all of this,there is heaps,I have so far managed to melt down 7 litres of the pure white fat-for fat balls,-Hope I am doing it right,some of the skin with fat on cut into strips,in to the oven baking,pouring the pure fat liquid into jars-I think it is as good a Goose fat and obviously I have crackling after.

However,seeing as I have been in the kitchen since about 4pm,I am not even half way down the container,Nightmare,you know if you wish to pay the p&p I would gladly courier it up to you.As long as I know it is going to be used,I cannot bare to waste anything. :thumbsup:

Mel

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 08:05:42 pm »

For rendering/cooking - my supply of virtually-organic beef dripping is dwindling, and I might not be able to have butter shortly (looong story).
I eat...weird things  ;D
I should add I'd be willing to pay as well as beg!  :D

No payment for the fat,just a few bars of soap hehe!

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »
Is a hamlop a cross between a Hampshire and a British Lop?    What do they look like?    Just 17 mm of fat - wonderful result, yet enough to be very tasty as well.    Not that I can afford a pig weighing machine, but does it help making the decision when to send them for slaughter, Robert?    Would be very interested to see your boned out weights - hopefully will be able to post my own too when I get a moment to spare.   I think I will just opt for cutting down their sow & weaner nuts next year rather than adding sawdust, that sounds quite horrible!    Tamsaddle

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »
PM sent  :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 08:33:44 pm »
yes a hamlop is a cross betwean the British lop and a Hampshire  they have the pricked ears of the Hampshire both breeds have good hams some have a spatering of grey/ black spots  easy dehaired
yes the weigh crate is an advantage it also makes your pigs easier to handle and work with :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS