Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas Turkey Dinner  (Read 2352 times)

readaboutchxnpigs

Christmas Turkey Dinner
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:37:34 pm »
Does anyone know the best method of dispatching a turkey?

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Christmas Turkey Dinner
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »
Hold the Turkey by the legs with it's back towards you. Lower it's head to the floor so it puts it's neck paralell to the floor. Place a stout broom handle or similar over it's neck, stand with a foot on the handle on each side of it's head, then pull up sharply on the legs.
Do this last bit quickly, if you hesitate whilst standing on the handle you are just choking it!

Alternatively use an air gun to shoot it in the head.

It's important to have it's back to you as it will flap violently once you break it's neck/shoot it and those wings can hurt if the breast is towards you.

Good luck

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 06:03:56 pm »
i do mine by hand which easy as long as its before the jan, then they are difficult for me cos they are stronger, so then i ask someone stronger to do it..!!

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:06:38 am »
I would advise constructing a killing cone. You can make one from a large traffic cone with the end cut out. You will need to make a frame for it but it works well to hold the bird in place while you swiftly and efficiently do the following. 1. Cosh your turkey very hard on the top of its head to stun it. 2. Bleed it out by cutting up the artery in it's neck with a sharp knife.

Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:13:33 am »
if you cannot find a cone (yes i know there every where) legally than the bags that their feed comes in also works just cut off one of the corners for the head to go through :-)
sam

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS