Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My Pigs Are Off Tomorrow..  (Read 3994 times)

Greg

• Joined Oct 2011
My Pigs Are Off Tomorrow..
« on: December 11, 2011, 06:23:12 pm »
They're tagged and ready to go..

Mixed emotions really.. The wife, who hasn't really been involved even helped today!

The ear tagging was a lot easier than anticipated and they even looked keen to get in the trailer, which I put in place ready for the morning.

I'm going to miss them........even though they dug holes that Steve McQueen would be proud of... ::)

Anyway.... Large blacks next!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: My Pigs Are Off Tomorrow..
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 06:29:03 pm »
LB's are great - I'm sure you'll enjoy them, our current one Blackberry is now 6 m onths, and really noisy at meal times, and dives in amongst the large sows for her supper !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »
good luck, what breed are they?

Greg

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:11:54 am »
Oxford sandy and blacks...

The trip to the slaughter house was easy enough.. The slaughter an met me and helped get the piggies out of the trailer.. One liked it there a bit too much ::)

Paper work all done then off home...

We can collect the meat on Thursday.. He asked the usual, what cuts I wanted etc and how much for sausages..

Anyway.. I'll let you all know what it tastes like on Thursday

Greg

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:16:37 am »
Well done mine went this morning too, feel a bit guilty because they were born late so a little bit younger than i like to send them. meat back on Friday.
Bestest mandy  :pig:

Greg

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 05:48:44 pm »
Felt a little sad all day....

Got home at lunchtime and told the wife..... She had a right old cry  :-[

Anyway... We went through the reason why we got them thing and then explained to the kids this evening about it all...

Thursday will be the test.... Pork chops and chips for tea... ::)

Greg

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 08:31:58 pm »
Abattoir day deffo the worst day  :'( but we do exactly what you did and rehashed why we were doing it and it puts it all in perspective  :) Much better remembering my piggies know what it is like to get showers and tickles and apples and cuddles and and and ....  ;D ;D
 :wave:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:51 am »
hi
i cried because i didn't cry the morning we took them.
they said they like them clean as i said they were outdoor pigs and it was last feb
well clean to us and clean to them is different
we washed them really well in the morning (in total darkness!!!! and they were clean ;D ;D ;D
we were so busy getting them for 9am and the slaughter house were so good
it seemed to go by quick.
I think it hits you when you get home to an empty paddock....... :'( :'( :'(
the cure is to get some more asap ;D :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: ;D ;D ;D

It does get easier I think, although I am missing the lambs and we can't replace them till the spring :( :( :sheep: :sheep: :( :(

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 04:43:33 pm »
I think the empty pen is the worst thing. The farmer next door to me said he didn't know how I could do it the first time because when they send things to slaughter the fields are still full and they don't notice. I have plenty of pigs now so it makes it easier. :)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:49:05 pm »
i kno! i hated the empty field after our ones went away so now our young gilts are there instead. when u are used to speaking to them everytime u pass , u miss them bad!

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 02:52:30 pm »
I send off 5 pigs and 5 sheep on Monday.  Pigs were ready to leave to be honest and I have kept two sows to breed from so it was lovely to go over and feed them later and not struggle to stay on my feed.  The two sows seemed so much more relaxed and friendly.....sheep a different matter.  They were my fist orphans and i was very attached to them.  They were too friendly.  I have kept 3 to breed from so that I don't have to do orphans again, unless its females to keep!!

Have to remember that if i didn't eat them would not have them

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS